𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘉𝘰𝘺 𝘐𝘯 𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘐𝘤𝘦𝘣𝘦𝘳𝘨

{the boy in the iceberg}

   a blue beam shot into the sky, "finally," zuko said. "uncle, do you realize what this means?" he turned around and looked at iroh.

   "we won't get to finish our game?" iroh continued looking at the young girl in front of him.

   zuko looked back towards the sea, "it means our search - it's about to come to an end." iroh groaned at the boy, "that light came from an incredibly powerful source! it has to be him!"

   "or it's just the celestial lights. we've been down this road before, prince zuko. i don't want you to get too excited over nothing," he reasoned with zuko.

   "zuko, he's right. don't get your hopes up. remember what happened last time?" hana pleaded with him.

   "please sit. why don't you enjoy a cup of calming jasmine tea?" iroh offered his nephew.

   zuko exploded in anger, "it's prince zuko to you and i don't need any calming tea! i need to capture the avatar. helmsman, head a course for the light!"

   the girl flinched at his screaming. him screaming wasn't new to her. he'd yell at everyone. even if they were being nice to him, he'd be a dick and throw a tantrum.

   "i'm going to prepare myself. i'm sorry iroh, we will have to continue this game later," she smiled at him.

   "of course, hana, i will hold you to it," he smiled at the girl.

   hana got up and made her way back to her chambers. she stripped herself of her clothes and put on her pajamas. then she placed her uniform for tomorrow on the chest in front of her bed.

   she took a deep breath and opened her door. she walked to the deck and said 'hello's' and 'goodnights'. soon, she made it to prince zuko.

   she stood next to him, "are you ready for tomorrow? it's your big moment."

   "i've been waiting for this for a very long time," he said simply.

   "yes, i know. do you know what comes after this though?" hana looked at him. "what happens to me? to iroh? what are you going to do when you get back?"

   "uncle and i will go home and you will find your family," he continued looking out to the sea.

   "so that's it, huh," she shook her head and chuckled.

   "what are you laughing at? what is so funny?" zuko yelled at her.

   "nothing. it's nothing."

   "i'm going to bed," iroh yawned. "yep. a man needs his rest. prince zuko, hana, you need some sleep. even if you're right and the avatar is alive, you won't find him. your father, grandfather, and great-grandfather all tried and failed."

   "because their honor didn't hinge on the avatar's capture. mine does. this coward's hundred years in hiding are over," he said sternly.

   "it is useless to do this with him, iroh," she told him. "but with me? i'll listen," she smiled. "goodnight. we have a long day ahead of us," she walked back inside.

   she quickly made it to her room and plopped onto her bed. she got under covers and drifted off.

   a few hours later she felt a cool breeze hit her body. it was morning. she got up and put on her uniform and headed towards the dining hall.

   "hello, aimi. thank you for the delicious food," hana smiled at the older woman and took the food.

   "thank you much," aimi said cheerfully.

   "of course! i hope you have a good day!" she sweetly said.

   "you as well!" she shouted at the teenager walking away. the woman always had a soft spot for the young girl. she was light amid the tenseness.

   they girl walked towards the deck to see zuko practicing fire bending techniques. "good morning!"

   "ugh! you messed me up!" zuko stopped and lectured her.

   "i'm sorry," she quietly said.

   "it is nice of you to join us hana," iroh smiled at her.

   "you too iroh. i'm really sorry for interrupting."

   he laughed at the girl, "do not worry about it, dear! sit and watch zuko. maybe you can help."

   "of course," she did as she was told and sat.

   for hours iroh and hana sat watching zuko and critiquing him. "ENOUGH! you WILL teach me the advanced set," he grew frustrated.

   "no offense but screaming at us isn't going to teach you how to be good enough to defeat the fucking avatar," she got fed up with his shit. "and i'm done with you screaming and yelling and throwing tantrums. you're sixteen years old."

   "you don't get to lecture me!" he walked towards her and yelled.

   "you're doing exactly what i said you shouldn't be doing! you're so impatient and rude! you're just proving my point!" she extended her neck out so she'd be in his face.

"that's bullshit and besides, you're here because i let you be here! you're practically useless! you're just the help!" he yelled.

   "i'm not just the help, zuko! i'm more than this! i deserve more than this!"

   "you two! cut it out!" iroh yelled at the two of them. "you are both on edge. you are both so close to the thing you desire most but arguing with each other won't do you any good! you two are young adults, go talk this out on your own," he dismissed them.

   the two teens walk towards the edge of the ship. hana leaned on the railing and zuko stood next to her. "i'm sorry for screaming at you and uncle iroh and for calling you worthless."

   "i'm sorry for being an asshole," she looked at him.

   "no you're not," he replied.

   "you're right, i'm not," she laughed and he looked at her with a hard face. "i'm joking! geez, i'm going to have to teach how to make jokes one day."

   he huffed and continued to look at the sea, "i know how to joke."

   she stifled a laugh, "i'm sure." she looked up, "zuko! what is that!" she freaked seeing a fire nation signal in the sky.

   "i don't know. go get me the telescope," he ordered.

   hana ran and grabbed his telescope. she swiftly brought it back and handed it to him. he held it up to his non-scarred eye, "the last air bender. quite agile for his age. wake my uncle! tell him i found the avatar as well as his hiding place."

   "holy shit..."