Progress

𝕞𝕒𝕪𝕒

I go into Gabi and Dillon's room, motioning Josh over to get the stuff for changing his diaper that I put on their dresser. He comes back, laying out the blanket as I gently place him on it. Once Dillon feels the soft touch of the blanket, he calms down a lot. Maybe we could do a little baby leap?

"Do you wanna do it?" I ask softly.

"Are you sure?" he asks, clear worry in his voice.

"Yeah," I sigh, "He's a lot calmer now, and I'll be here the whole time."

He smiles and nods nervously as I move out of his way and we switch spots on the ground. I put out my hand for Dillon to grab and play with to keep him occupied. He smiles and coos, reaching out his hands, grabbing my fingers and playing with them, completely mesmerized while Josh changes his diaper. A few minutes later, Josh is done.

"Done," he says, putting his hands up like in those cooking competitions on TV.

"Congratulations," I say teasingly and he laughs.

He tries to pick Dillon up, but he's not having it, so I sigh in exasperation and pick him up, him immediately clinging to my shirt and somewhat relaxing in my arms. But, he's not having a fit anymore, so that's good. Progress.

We walk out together and are met by an adorable Gabi playing pretend with one of her baby dolls.

"Goodnight Dillon," she says as she places it into the little crib, and I realize she was pretending that it was Dillon. My heart melts as she smiles and kisses the doll's forehead.

"Hey sweetie," I say, "What'cha doing?"

Her head quickly turns in our direction and she smiles, "I'm practicing."

My heart melts even more, if that's possible, "What are you practicing?"

"Taking care of Dil," she states simply, "I wanna help out."

"Well..." I say. Maybe now is the best time for her to learn, Dillon's calmer now, "Maybe it's time I teach you how to hold him?"

Her face lights up as she nods vigorously. Right when I'm about to go over to her, Josh grabs my arm and whispers, "Are you sure about this?"

I turn around to face him, "Yeah, she's really careful and won't move around if I tell her not too. I'll set her up on the couch and then give him to her," I whisper back. He nods in understanding, so I turn back around and walk over to her.

"Sit over here," I instruct, pointing to the armchair.

She immediately nods and runs over there, eagerly jumping onto the chair. I walk over and grab his blanket, placing Dillon on top of it on the ground and swaddling him. I pick him back up and bring him over to her. Wait, what about supporting his head?

"Hold on, can you get off for a second?" I ask, and she nods, sliding off the chair. I sit down and motion for her to come back, which she immediately does excitedly. She scoots in so that she's behind Dillon. I move her hands to the correct places to support him on her side while I keep a little bit of support there and also support his head. I look down and see a huge smile on her face.

"I love him," she mumbles softly, making my heart swell.

"You do, do you?" I ask.

"Yeah," she says, "I love my little brother; he's amazing."

I tighten my grip around the two in a hug, "I love you both so much."

"We love you too, Mo- I mean, May-," she says, but I shake my head with a smile.

"It's okay, I don't mind," I smile, looking up to Josh. I then look back down to Gabi and see her face light up.

"Really?!" she exclaims, clearly excited.

"Yeah," I sigh.

"Yay! Mommy!!" she says, reminding me of Riley. My heart melts.

I laugh lightly, "Yeah, Mommy."

She smiles her huge smile and lets go of Dillon (who I'm still holding in my arms), carefully climbing onto my lap and wrapping her arms around my neck. I relax until I hear Dillon crying again.

"Maybe I could help?" Josh offers.

"That would be great," I say, and he nods, walking over to me and taking Dillon from my arms. I'm pleased to see that he calms down a little as Josh brings him into the kitchen. I pick Gabi up and fix her on my lap as she just holds on tight to my neck.

"I love you Gabi," I say.

"I love you too Mommy," she says. My heart melts every time that word comes out of her mouth. I'm a mother.

Josh is getting along well with them so far.

I'm finally making progress.

╞═══════════╡✿╞═══════════╡

Word Count: 793