Happy and Healthy

𝕞𝕒𝕪𝕒

I nod to her with a small fake smile and a quick "Okay" before standing back up and looking to Josh, who is just finishing breakfast. I realize that Dillon is still having his mini tantrum on the counter and realize that this isn't important right now; I'll talk to him later about it. What's important right now is getting these two hooligans under control. I walk over to Dillon and pick him up, gently shushing him as I lightly pat his back, soothing him almost immediately. I move out of Josh's way and he places 3 plates onto the counter, full with scrambled eggs, a few pieces of bacon each, and some of the cut up fruit.

"Would you like anything to drink?" Josh asks as he opens the fridge.

"Glass of water will be fine," I say quickly, and he nods, filling a glass with some ice cubes and the rest with water. He hands it to me and I nod in thanks, which he returns as he hands Gabi's plate to her and sends her into the living room. It's now or never.

I place Dillon in his carrier, grabbing one of his pacifiers and putting it into his mouth to keep him in a calm mood for a bit. I take a seat next to Josh at the island, who has already started to eat his food.

"Did you hear what Gabi said earlier?" I ask, deciding to get straight to the point; no time for segways.

He looks at me with a confused but wary look on his face as he shakes his head, "No....... is everything okay?"

I sigh, "I don't know, but what she said shocked me."

"What did she say?" He asks intently, putting down his fork and letting me know that I have his full, undivided attention.

"She said, 'Daddy's making breakfast,'" I repeat exactly what she said, making Josh's eyes widen. Okay, good sign; it was the first time she called him that.

"I swear Maya, I had no idea-" he starts, but I cut him off.

"I can see that. The look on your face shows me that it's the first time that she's called you that," I say, and he sighs and nods.

"If she says it again, can you correct her? I would, but it wouldn't be as meaningful and there wouldn't be as large of a chance that she'll actually listen than if you told her," I explain.

He nods, "I promise, I will. I'm not ready for officially becoming a parent, and besides, I'm Uncle Josh: the cool uncle, not the annoying, so not cool Dad. I've got at least a few years of coolness left," he says, making me nod as we both laugh together.

"Thank you," I say.

"Of course, it's no problem. I meant what I said, I'm not ready for that type of commitment yet; give me a few years and I might be, but now, not even close," he says, and I nod in understanding.

"It's a huge jump, going from babysitter to parent, and trust me I totally get it," I start, "It was so overwhelming at first, but then I had to make the jump, I had to give Gabi someone to look up to, someone to rely on, so that kept me going most of the time when there were hard nights," I explain, and he nods.

"You're incredible Maya," he states, taking me aback, "Yes, most people end up taking that leap at some point in their life when they have kids, but you, being able to do it, and give Gabi that parental figure at 18 is incredible. And now, you've taken the even larger step to allow her to call you her mother." He shakes his head in disbelief as we both smile.

"Thanks Josh," I say, "And thank you for doing this, for moving in with me to help out, it means a lot."

"Of course Maya, you deserve some help, and to have a lot more fun in high school, without having to worry about Gabi and Dillon. And also, you wouldn't get any sleep if I wasn't here, and that's not healthy," he explains, and I nod.

"I know, and that's why I really appreciate it," I say.

"It's my pleasure," he smiles, "They're amazing."

He looks over to Gabi, then to Dillon, who's in his carrier, "I know. And I couldn't be happier."

We both sit and smile, and I just think about how I got here, how I got to be so lucky to have found these 3 beautiful specimens, 2 of which that I call my family, and the other I have a feeling that he might join the special club.

╞═══════════╡✿╞═══════════╡

Word Count: 794