If Only

𝕞𝕒𝕪𝕒

If only I could find Dillon's parents. But sadly, I don't even know the name he was born with, or his birthday, or anything really, other than he's going to be 6 months in a week or so, but that's probably not completely right, and it's not even close to the amount of information I would need.

As I'm laying down on the couch while Dillon is in his swing, my phone starts to ring. I pick it up and smile to see my best friend's face and quickly pick it up.

"Peaches!" Riley says through the phone.

"Hey Riles, long time no speak, how've you been?" I ask.

"Yeah it's been a long time. I've been okay, other than the fact that my best friend has no time for me out of school," she says, and I can tell that she's just joking around based on her playful tone.

"Sorry Riles, it's just that a lot has been going on and it just got like 100 times harder to make plans anymore," I explain.

"Are you okay Maya? You seem a little stressed, what's up?" she asks, and I sigh as I stand up and look at Josh, motioning to him where Dillon is and he nods, so I go into my room and sit on my bed.

"Well, I got another kid," I say.

"What?!" she says, making my ears bleed a little.

"Calm down Riles, let me explain," I breathe out.

"Okay, spill," she says urgently.

"Well, it's not really a long story. About a month ago, I came home from one of my shifts at the café and for some weird reason, a baby was left right in front of the door to my apartment with a note that the parents didn't want him anymore," I explain, "So, I though 'What's one more?' And that I would probably regret it in the future if I gave him to an orphanage or something, so I took him in as my own."

"Wow," Riley breathes out, "How are you able to handle two kids under 5 alone?"

I smile and blush, thinking about Josh, "Well, when I realized that I needed baby things, I called your mom and she gave me some from your storage unit and while we were trying to get everything back to my apartment, she called your Uncle Josh, since he lives close by."

"Okay...." Riley starts, "Where is this going?"

"Well, once we got everything back to my place, Josh and I started talking and he pretty much insisted to move in and help out," I smile.

"Really? I haven't heard from Uncle Josh in forever," she admits, "It's at least been a year."

"Well, in that case, how about we plan a day where we all hang out? You, me, Auggie, your parents, Josh, Gabi and Dillon," I list.

"Dillon?" She asks.

"The baby," I say, and I hear a soft 'ohhhh' from the other line.

"That sounds amazing. You know my mom, she'll probably want to plan everything, so I'll have her just do it so she doesn't get mad at us for not having her plan it.I'll text you the details once she plans everything," Riley replies, and right as she finished that, I hear Dillon start to cry, and my door is open so Riley can likely hear it.

"Great, now, I gotta go," I say, "Dillon's been a mess recently."

"It seems so," Riley laughs, "No problem, see you soon."

"See you soon. Thunder," I say.

"Lightning," she says.

"Love you," I say.

"Love you too Peaches, bye,"

"Bye," I quip, hanging up quickly and getting up, internally groaning at this phase that Dillon is going through; it's driving me nuts.

╞═══════════╡❀╞═══════════╡

A few hours later, I get a text from Riley.

𝚁𝚒𝚕𝚎𝚜 ☀️: 𝙼𝚘𝚖 𝚜𝚊𝚒𝚍 𝚝𝚑𝚊𝚝 𝟷𝟶-𝟹 𝚝𝚘𝚖𝚘𝚛𝚛𝚘𝚠 𝚒𝚜 𝚐𝚘𝚘𝚍, 𝚒𝚜 𝚝𝚑𝚊𝚝 𝚘𝚔?
𝙿𝚎𝚊𝚌𝚑𝚎𝚜 🧡: 𝚈𝚎𝚊𝚑, 𝚙𝚎𝚛𝚏𝚎𝚌𝚝.
𝚁𝚒𝚕𝚎𝚜 ☀️: 𝙾𝚔𝚊𝚢, 𝚐𝚛𝚎𝚊𝚝! 𝚂𝚎𝚎 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚝𝚑𝚎𝚗?
𝙿𝚎𝚊𝚌𝚑𝚎𝚜 🧡: 𝚂𝚎𝚎 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚝𝚑𝚎𝚗 😘
𝚁𝚒𝚕𝚎𝚜 ☀️: 😘
𝙿𝚎𝚊𝚌𝚑𝚎𝚜 🧡: ​🌩​
𝚁𝚒𝚕𝚎𝚜 ☀️: 𝙻𝚒𝚐𝚑𝚝𝚗𝚒𝚗𝚐! ​⚡️​

I breathe out a sigh of relief that I finally get to see my best friend again. It's been way too long since I've actually been able to actually see her and the Matthews outside of school. I haven't been able to unwind, everything's been so stressful.

I break out of my zoning when I hear a knock. My eyes whip up to see Josh, leaned against the doorframe of my bedroom with a worried look on his face. I motion for him to come in and he sits next to me on my bed.

"You okay?" he asks, wrapping his arm around my waist.

"Yeah," I sigh.

"What's up?" he presses.

"I just can't wait for tomorrow," I say honestly, putting my head on his shoulder.

"What's tomorrow?" he asks.

"We're all going to have a day with Riley and the Matthews," I explain.

"That's amazing," he says, "It's just what you need right now."

I lift my head up and make eye contact, a confused look on my face.

"What do you mean?" I ask.

"Don't try to deny it," he says, "I've seen that you've been crazy stressed with everything, and I get it. But you need to unwind, you need a break. And from being here, I can tell that it's hard for you to take breaks, so it's good that we get somewhat of a day off for once."

I smile and nod, "Yeah."

"Now come here, you look exhausted," he says, and I nod again, leaning my head back onto his shoulder as he pulls me closer to him and places a kiss on the top of my head. I sigh at the loving gesture and finally am able to relax for one of the first times since I found Dillon at my doorstep.

"Here, come on Gorgeous," he says quietly, and he lightly picks me up and places me down at my head rest, putting the covers over me. He picks me up lightly again and lays me down on my pillow.

"Get some rest," he says, kissing me on the forehead before starting to leave.

"Boiiiingggg," I groan, and he laughs lightly before turning around.

"Yeah?" he asks, with an amused look on his face.

"Stay," I state simply, "At least till I fall asleep, which won't be long. Pleaseeeeee"

"Of course Sweetheart," he says, and my insides flutter at the nickname. He's never called me that before.

He comes back, and I scoot over to make room on my bed. He lifts the covers and gets in next to me and lays down; I almost immediately snuggle into his chest as he wraps his arm around me. He laughs lightly and I look up to him, seeing him look at me amusingly, with love in his eyes. My heart melts at him.

"I love you," he says right before I drift off.

Wait, did I hear that right? What am I going to do?

Do I feel that way towards him?

╞═══════════╡✿╞═══════════╡

Word Count: 1163