⚝Chapter Three⚝

Konno sat directly in the hole of the tree, peering outside. She hadn't slept much through the night because of all the little noises from the critters outside. Her anxiety had also been through the roof because she was in a new place with new creatures and scenery. She had been nibbling on the last bit of her food for the past few hours, and now she was holding the last bit in her hands. 

"Look at what you've done," she whispered to herself. "You won't have food soon, and then what will you do?"

She sighed and shoved the food back in her bag. Her hands absentmindedly grabbed at Sokka's parka, draping it over her legs. It was warm out in the swamps, but she didn't mind. It was the only thing that allowed her to feel hope. 

Konno suddenly stood up and stepped down to the water. She had rolled up her pant legs so they wouldn't get wet again. She ditched her shoes, too. Konno took a small step forward, trying to memorize the layout in front and around her new home. She didn't want to get lost in the swamps and die. 

Konno was still very depressed about the tragic deaths of Yue and Navrek. However, she didn't want to die anymore. At least, she didn't want to die alone. That was her worst fear. But she was always alone in her life, so it was inevitable. She just hoped that she would find someone to be with when it was her time.

She took a step away from her new home and sucked in a breath. A voice echoed through the trees, bouncing off each trunk toward her. It had been weeks since she heard that voice. Hastily, she started running toward where the voice was coming from. However, it kept getting farther away the closer she got. 

"Navrek?" she whispered, suddenly stopping. All at once, the voice surrounded her, whipping past her small frame. Her hair blew out of her face just as light floated down from the canopy. In a blink, it was gone. "What is going on?"

A ghostly hand touched her shoulder, and Konno swirled around. The water splashed as she stumbled. Her legs grew weak, and her eyes got misty. Navrek stood in front of her, his lips moving. However, she couldn't hear what he was saying. The rush of the blood drowned everything out. Light streamed down on him like he was an angel.

"Navrek?" Her voice cracked, and she fell to her knees. He knelt down in front of her, lacing their fingers together. It was strange holding his hand when she couldn't feel his skin against hers. The water lapped around her knees, but it barely moved around him. "Is that really you?"

He nodded, a ghost of a smile on his face. Tears pooled in her eyes at the sight. She didn't realize how much she had missed him. She wanted to throw her arms around his neck, to pull him close, but he was slowly fading away. "Don't leave!" she cried. "I need you! Please . . . don't leave me alone." Her voice grew soft and quiet when she said, "I don't want to be alone."

The light splintered, and Navrek waved before he disappeared. She buried her fists into her eyes as the tears started streaming down her face. Konno wanted to curl up in a ball and cry and break down, but she would get soaking wet. Instead, she struggled to stand up. Her legs wobbled and her body felt numb. Navrek was right about this place. If he had survived, he would've been able to see his father again. But now that he was dead, he could probably see him for eternity.

Konno glanced around and realized that she had strayed farther away from her home than she thought. She couldn't find her path that she blazed through because it was all completely water. Defeated, she sat down on a root and buried her head in her hands. She wished things would finally turn around for her. She wished she could see the light of this world again, but Konno didn't she ever could.

Her shoulders shook as she allowed her emotions to break through her remaining two walls. Konno hadn't properly grieved after she left the Northern Water Tribe. She was always doing something whether it be eating or rowing. She stayed busy so she wouldn't be stuck in her head. But now, she dug deep into the pain. The layers surrounded her, and she couldn't get out. She was drowning in the pain.

"Hush now," a soft voice whispered. "You don't have to cry. I'm here now."

Konno lifted her head. Through her tears, she saw Yue floating down toward her. A sob escaped her lips as Yue reached out toward her. A slight breeze made Yue shimmer; however, she grew more solid as the light streamed down toward her. 

"Eimi, why are you crying?" That voice had haunted her for weeks. She had heard it whisper in the breeze or scream in the waves. 

"Why am I crying?" Konno asked, her voice thick. "I miss you so much. I don't know how to live without you."

Yue smiled softly and hovered next to Konno. It felt like she had wrapped her arms around her, and Konno squeezed her eyes shut. She missed the feeling of her sister next to her. "Eimi, listen to me," Yue said. "I know it hurts now. It hurts like you've been stabbed twenty times in the heart."

"How do you know that?" Konno asked quietly.

"I can feel your pain. I can feel everything you feel."

"How?"

"We will always be connected together," Yue explained. "Whether I'm here or not, we will be balanced together."

"Why'd you have to leave me here?"

Yue's voice grew distant, and Konno opened her eyes. She was floating above her, a soft look on her beautiful face. "I have never left you once. I have always been with you, right here in your heart. If you ever need me, just call my name, and I'll be with you. I love you, Eimi."

"Where are you going?" Konno cried, jumping up and trying to reach Yue. 

She floated farther up toward the canopy, but her voice echoed through the trees. "Remember, I am always with you. Goodbye."

And just like that, Konno was alone. The sunlight dimmed, leaving her in darkness. She sat there numbly and stared out at the swamp. Seeing Yue again didn't feel as good as she thought. She wanted to be with her physically, all the time. The only way to be with her was to die. Dying was terrifying. So Konno would have to be alone in the swamp with no idea where she was at. 

Suddenly, a light shone in the water, glowing a slight green. It created a small path leading to the left, so she decided to follow it. After a minute, she recognized some items. The path ended at a tree with a hole in it. She peered in it and smiled. "Thank you, Yue."