⚝Chapter Eleven⚝

Life with Toph was very different than life with just Aang, Katara, and Sokka. It was a simple life with Aang, Katara, and Sokka. They did whatever they wanted without any thought. Yes, they got into trouble all the time, but it was surprisingly nice. With Toph, they still had free reign as to where they wanted to go. However, Konno didn't really enjoy it as much with Toph there. She was very outspoken and harsh. 

Konno didn't like Toph as much as the others did. She could see that the two of them were very similar people. They wouldn't let the world tell them no just because they were women. She really did admire how Toph wouldn't let her disability guide her life or paralyze her. The thing she didn't like was how Toph said whatever was on her mind, whether it be rude or not. And most of the time it was rude.

Konno wished Yue were there with her. She always knew how to make Konno feel welcome. She always knew how to make Konno feel better, but now she wasn't here. Yue wasn't here, but Katara was. And Katara was trying her hardest to pull Konno more into the group. Every time they went somewhere, Katara would force her to speak with the others. And somehow, Konno enjoyed that. It almost felt like she had an older sister again. Almost.

"I think we're going to stop traveling for the day," Sokka announced, looking up from his map that fluttered in the breeze. "It's getting a little late to be traveling."

Konno glanced around at the sky. The sun was still high in the sky. Katara must have had the same thoughts because she said, "It's still day. Why would we stop now?"

"I don't want another chase to happen and us be exhausted," Sokka argued. "That wasn't fun at all."

Konno agreed. That was one long day when they were getting chased by Azula and her two cronies. She felt bad because she didn't help that at all when they fought those three girls. Toph wouldn't even count her in when she was saying how many against the three of them. She clumped her with Sokka because they were nonbenders. 

"See, Konno wants to stop here for the night," Sokka said with a gesture to her. He offered her a quick smile before saying, "Does anyone else agree?"

"Yeah," Aang said, glancing at them from the reigns. "I do agree. I don't want to be unprepared like that again."

"I guess so," Katara said after a second of thinking. "Besides, we do need to stock up on food. We are getting low."

"What do you say, Toph?" Sokka asked.

"Whatever you guys want."

Konno forced back a sigh. She didn't want to get on the bad side of Toph, but she also wanted Toph to make at least one decision. 

"Then it's settled," Sokka said, clapping. Konno looked away from Toph, glancing back at Sokka. "There isn't much to do today, so do whatever you want."

Appa touched down on the ground with a loud sigh. She was the first one to slide off of him, landing on the dirt. Her legs shook as she took a step forward. She must not have been used to flying on Appa yet. She had spent her whole life on solid ground. Well, as solid as ice could be. 

"Konno, do you want to go find food with me?" Katara asked, appearing at her shoulder.

"Yeah."

The area they landed in crested a forest. It seemed like the green treetops touched the blue skies, reaching toward something that they will never be able to get to. They would always be too short to get what they truly desired. Bushes crowded around the trunks of the trees, clinging to them so that they could stay. But the trees desperately wanted to leave this world for something so much better. They strained to reach the sky, but the bushes were keeping them grounded. They were the only things keeping the trees from leaving.