⚝Chapter Fifteen⚝

Konno couldn't believe that the library was actually sinking. There was nothing she could do about it, either. She wasn't a bender. She wasn't strong at all. There was no way she could help her friends. After all they've done for her, she can't even repay them. 

Still, she pressed her closed fists against the quickly falling spire. Toph did the same thing, jabbing her hands into its surface. She grunted as she attempted to hold the library up. Her feet sunk into the sand because of the effort. However, the spire did start to slow down.

"Konno, you're not helping me at all," Toph said, her voice very strained. "Get your hands off of the spire right now."

Konno immediately took her hands off of the spire and said a quick sorry. She still felt bad that there was nothing she could do. The Warrior felt powerless right now. It wanted to fight to keep her friends safe. But it couldn't. It couldn't do anything.

Beads of sweat raced down Toph's face as she held the library up. Konno wanted to say something motivating, but she didn't think Toph would enjoy it. Anyway, she needed to focus all of her attention on the sinking library. 

Konno glanced around and was surprised to see a dust storm approaching. Appa must've saw it too because he let out a small groan. "What is it now?" Toph asked, turning her head around.

"We have company," Konno said, grabbing the club. She knew that she couldn't do much against them, but she would try anything to help Toph keep her friends safe.

Three sand gliders drove through the desert toward them. Most of the people had wrappings covering their faces. They also had a visor to cover their eyes. Before Konno could say anything, a shockwave of sand quickly hit her, Toph, and Appa.

"Who's there?" Toph asked.

"Sandbenders," Konno said grimly. 

The sand gliders circled Appa, and one of the men jumped off of a glider, bending a whirlwind of sand as he landed. Konno blocked her eyes from the incoming sand. When she finally looked back at the sandbenders, she let out a surprised gasp. They were throwing ropes with bags of sand tied to the ends over Appa! He began to resist, but he was already weakening. He grunted as he tried to throw some of the sandbenders off of him.

Konno gripped the club in her hand. Her heart suddenly started beating very quickly at the thought of attacking the men. But she had to do it. Aang would be devastated if Appa got taken. One of the men had his back to her, so she ran up behind him. Unfortunately, all of her training suddenly went out the window. She had to fly by the seat of her pants now. 

She swung the club at the back of the man's knee, and he immediately fell down into the sand. However, that just made him very angry, so she raised the club and brought it down on his head. A twinge of guilt hit her when he crumpled. She had killed a man once. She didn't want to do it again. 

"Don't make me put this down!" Toph yelled as Konno moved on to her next victim.

Some of the sandbenders saw her, though, so she retreated to the right of them. They sent sand flying her way, but she dodged every single time. However, a blast of sand did hit her. It didn't come from the sandbenders, though. It came from Toph.

"Toph!" Konno yelled. "You hit me!"

"It's not like I can see!" Toph yelled back. She pressed her right hand back against the spire. "Remember?"

Appa gave a frightened groan, so Konno ran back over to the sandbenders. They were all boarding their gliders. She jumped onto one and accidentally landed on a guy's back. Her weight brought him down to the ground, so she hit him on the head as well. When she looked up, her heart dropped down through her stomach. Most of the men on that glider were looking at her. One raised his arm up into the air and flicked his hand. She couldn't do anything as a large cloud of sand flew at her. It knocked her off of the glider, and she flew a few feet backward before slamming hard into the ground.