⚝Chapter Nineteen⚝

"Look, the inner wall!" Katara said, pointing. They were on a train, riding into the city that way. Since Sokka, Aang, Toph, and Katara had taken down the drill, the general gave them a free ride on the train. "I can't believe we finally made it to Ba Sing Se in one piece."

Konno watched as the green ground below them rushed by. A few animals grazed on the grass, and she smiled. Now that they were going to Ba Sing Se, life seemed to look better. 

"Hey, don't jinx it!" Sokka hissed, his eyes darting around. "We could still be attacked by some giant, exploding Fire Nation spoon. Or find out the city's been submerged in an ocean full of killer shrimp."

"You been hitting the cactus juice again?" Toph asked with a glance at his eyes.

"I'm just saying, weird stuff happens to us," Sokka said, raising his hands.

Konno laughed. Sokka gave her a look that said something like: It's true, though. Right after he gave her that look, a strange man with a glossy stare and a large yellow plant in his mouth took a seat between Toph and Sokka, startling them. 

"This is what I was talking about," Sokka whispered to Konno. She jumped slightly when his lips brushed against her ear. "See that man? Just what I was talking about."

Konno nodded slightly. She didn't want to jump again if his lips were still that close to her. The man next to Sokka started chewing on the plant in his mouth. At least he got up soon and went to another car. Konno didn't want to be trapped next to Sokka by herself. She didn't know what she would do if he touched her again.

"Don't worry, Aang," Katara said once the two of them scooted closer to the rest of the group. "We'll find Appa."

"It's such a big city," Aang said sadly. He looked out the window, a distraught look on his face.

"He's a giant bison," Sokka said with a nod. "Where could someone possible hide him?" The car passed through the inner wall and entered the vast, enormous city. Ba Sing Se stretched almost as far as her eye could see and was riddled with many roads and buildings. "Oh."

The car finally came to a stop at one of the many monorail stations. Konno couldn't believe that the city was that big. Agna Qel'a, the capital city in the Northern Water Tribe, was about a third of the size of Ba Sing Se. It was overwhelming to look at; an enormous building rose up in the distance, and she guessed it was for the king. She didn't understand how such a city could be that big.

They all disembarked from the train. Another spectacular view of Ba Sing Se rose out of the walls. Konno slowed to a stop as she took in the sights. Sokka bumped her shoulder with his and said, "This place is much bigger than both the Water Tribes."

"Yeah. It is."

"Back in the city," Toph said with a sigh. "Great."

Sokka turned away from Konno with a frown on his face. "What's the problem?" he asked. "It's amazing!"

"Just a bunch of walls and rules," Toph said, gesturing to the obvious walls around them. "You wait, you'll get sick of it in a couple of days."

Konno didn't like Toph's attitude about Ba Sing Se. The city was beautiful and way different than any place she had ever been. It was new and exciting. She generally didn't like the places where they traveled, but this one for some reason gave her hope. She knew something would happen here, something good.

"He's here," Aang said after blowing into his bison whistle. "I can feel it."

The monorail cars departed; Konno could feel the ground underneath her feet shake as it took off at top speed. On the other side of the track stood a woman with long dark hair billowing in the wind. She approached them. Konno was surprised to see a creepy smile on her face, and she glanced at Katara. Katara seemed to notice the weird smile, too, because she raised her eyebrows.