⚝Chapter Eighteen⚝

Right after they had gotten out of the Serpent's Pass, the pregnant woman that was traveling with them had her child. It was a beautiful baby girl, and Konno was glad to see her born. Even if they did live in a world of war, she knew the parents would give everything they could to give their baby a great life. 

Suki also left their group, needing to get back to her warriors and job. Konno was a little sad that she left, but she knew it was for the best. She said goodbye to all of them and disappeared soon afterward. Konno hoped that she would make it back okay. She had a feeling she could withstand anything. 

Now, they were escorting the family out of the rocky pass toward the base of the great wall. Aang had disappeared a little earlier, taking off on his glider, so it was just Konno, Sokka, Katara, and Toph with the family. The family mainly kept to themselves, though, cooing over their baby. 

"I can't believe that woman really had her baby on the ground," Sokka said, shivering visibly. "I would not want to have a child on the nasty ground."

"Good thing you'll never be able to carry a kid," Katara said with a glance at his stomach. "It's not like we can stop it. She had nowhere else to go!"

"Still!" Sokka said, throwing his hands up. "We have no idea what has walked around on this ground. We don't know if someone or something did its business right where we're standing -"

"Okay, Sokka," Toph said, shuffling her bare feet along on the dirt. "We get it. Really. You don't have to explain yourself anymore."

Sokka faced Konno and said, "They don't appreciate me, do they?"

"I don't think that's it," Konno said with a soft laugh. "You're not capable of having kids, so you wouldn't understand what we go through."

"Well, you haven't had a child yet," he pointed out. "You don't understand, either."

Konno rolled her eyes. "I did help some women give birth back home. So, yes, I do understand. And I had that talk with my mother when I was younger, so I would still understand if I didn't help those women."

"You're the Princess," Katara said with a slight frown. "Why would you help some women give birth? Wasn't there any doctors there?"

"It usually happened when I was with Navrek," she explained. Her hands twitched at the sound of his name hitting the air. "We used to walk through the city when we were bored, and we encountered a lot of pregnant women. I would help them give birth while Navrek went and got one of the healers."

"Who's Navrek?" Toph asked.

Konno blinked down at the ground and muttered, "He was my best friend."

"Oh," Toph said, presumably remembering their conversation in the desert.

Katara touched Konno's shoulder and offered her a small smile. However, her attention was drawn away from Konno as Aang and Momo swooped into view from the direction of the wall. Aang landed in front of them, and Momo perched on his shoulder.

"Aang, what are you doing here?" Katara asked. A frown creased her face. "I thought you were looking for Appa."

"I was, but something stopped me," he said gravely. "Something big."

He led all of them to the base of the wall. Aang explained something to Toph, who nodded with determination in her pale eyes. When everyone gathered together, Toph and Aang simultaneously began to earthbend a rock platform around them. It began to rise up the face of the wall, lifting them all upwards. 

Konno stumbled when they first took off, but someone grabbed her shoulder, pulling her against them. She glanced up and saw Sokka holding her up. He smiled when he caught her looking at him and whispered, "I wasn't going to let you fall."