⚝Chapter Twenty⚝

Konno couldn't believe that she had allowed her emotions to get the better of her. After her friends had left, she immediately felt very embarrassed. Why had she snapped at Katara? She had done nothing to her. She just wanted to help her. 

But Konno didn't want help. She didn't want to share her feelings with other people. She wanted to bury them below the ocean in her heart to where no one else could see them. No one would be able to find them there because she wouldn't let anyone in that far down. That was the only way to not get hurt.

It was really unfortunate that she wanted to keep people away from her darkest thoughts and secrets. She really enjoyed letting people in because it made her shoulders a little lighter without carrying all the weight of her pain. Katara and Sokka helped her carry the grief when she let them, but now she ruined it. 

The door to house suddenly opened, revealing Katara and Aang. Konno stood up and opened her mouth to say something, but Sokka beat her to it. "That man was really weird," he said, walking inside as well. Toph followed him in, too. "Why did he shut his door in our faces?"

Konno really wanted to talk to Katara and apologize, but she wouldn't even look at her. It seemed like Konno had damaged her relationship with Katara. She didn't realize how much it would hurt to have her not talk to her. 

"I think we should go to bed," Katara said with a nod. "We'll try to think of how we're going to see the King in the morning."

"Oh, come on, Katara," Sokka whined. He glanced outside and said, "The sun's still out! Can't we stay up a little longer?"

"I don't care what you do," Katara said, turning on her heel. "I'm going to bed. I'm exhausted."

"What's up with her?" Sokka asked as Katara left the room. "She's been in a bad mood since we got here."

Konno stayed silent. She didn't want to say that she was the reason that Katara was in a bad mood. She wouldn't meet anyone's eyes as she said, "I think I'm going to lay down, too."

"You too?" Sokka asked. He studied her eyes for a quick second before whispering, "What's wrong?"

Konno forced a smile on her face. "Nothing. I'm just tired."

"That's what Katara said." Konno shrugged before turning around. Before she could enter the hallway, Sokka grabbed onto her wrist and pulled her closer to him. His fingers tilted her head to look at him, and he whispered, "Why don't I come with you so we can talk?"

Konno took a step away from him. Her heart thudded against her ribs. "I don't know, Sokka. I'm pretty tired."

"It's okay, I don't want to talk for long."

"Fine." She didn't know how to say no to him. She already felt bad about Katara, and she didn't want to ruin whatever she had with Sokka. The two of them walked into the hallway. There was four doors running along the wall. "Do you know which room Katara went in?" Konno asked him.

"How should I? I didn't follow her."

Konno sighed and said, "I need to speak to Katara for a second."

Sokka nodded. "I'll wait in here, okay?"

He pointed to the first room on the right before entering. She concluded that Katara wasn't in that room, so she moved onto the next one. Opening the door, she realized that the next room was the bathroom. She was glad that no one was in there because she didn't even knock. She knocked onto the next door and a female voice said, "I don't want to talk."

Konno still opened the door. Katara laid on one of the beds in that room. She wasn't facing the door, so she couldn't see who was there. "I said, I don't want to talk," she said. "I'm trying to sleep."