⚝Chapter Twenty Three⚝

Aang was finally back with Appa, and they all were rejoicing together. However, in getting Appa, they lost Jet. Konno wasn't sure if he was going to make it or not, but she knew that he was hurt pretty bad. She didn't want to stay any longer with him because she didn't want to see him die. She had seen three people die already; she didn't want to see anyone else die now.

Konno stared down at the water that brushed against the edge of the tiny islet in the center of the lake. It reminded her of her little alcove. Peace spread through her veins as the sound of the water filled her ears. If she closed her eyes, she could picture herself back at the Northern Water Tribe with Yue. A small smile spread across her face at the thought.

"Are you thinking what I'm thinking?" Sokka asked, bumping his shoulder to hers. 

"If you're thinking that this is similar to my little cove at home, then yes, I am thinking what you're thinking."

"You are not thinking what I was thinking."

Konno laughed. She wanted to dip her toes in the water, but her fear stopped her from doing that. Apparently, she still was a little afraid of the water, especially after her attempted suicide. "What were you thinking?"

"That this would be the perfect time to shove you into the water."

Konno's laughter died down. He placed his arm around her shoulders and slightly pushed her forward. Her legs burned as she kept herself up. All the happiness that had been in her heart had drained out as she took a step back. 

"Sokka," Konno said, her voice low. "Don't. Please."

He gave her a look and dropped his arm off of her shoulders. "Are you afraid of the water?"

"Yeah," she admitted. "Ever since that day, I've been scared."

"That day?" He furrowed his brows, so she gave him a look like he should know. His brows shot up in surprise. "That day!"

"Yeah, that day."

Sokka nodded. "I don't blame you, Konno. That was a very traumatic day. Well, it was more than just one day, but still."

"Yes, it was." She took a deep breath and slowly blew it back out. She didn't want to get all upset because of one little thing that reminded her of the pain. Forcing a smile on her face, she said, "Do you want to go back to the others now?"

He faced her, a smile playing on his lips. "Can I have a kiss first?"

Konno glanced at their friends. They all were chatting together while Aang absentmindedly petted Appa. No one was looking at them. 

"I don't know," she said quickly. "I don't even know what we are, you know? Yesterday, you said that we were friends, but here you are asking for a kiss and -"

"Come on, Konno," Sokka said. "Please?"

"I don't know -"

"You had no objections to kissing me the other night."

Konno sighed slowly. Her hand rested on the back of his neck, and she quickly pressed a kiss to his cheek. "Better?"

"I guess." The two of them started to walk back to their friends. Every time his arm moved up and down, his hand would brush hers until she grabbed on. "You said that you don't know what we are," he said quietly. "Do you want to talk about that?"

"Right now?"

"What time is better than the present?"

"I miss you more than you'll ever know, buddy," Aang said happily, clinging to Appa's fur.