⚝Chapter Twenty One⚝

The last few days, Konno and her friends had been laying low in Ba Sing Se. They did not want to get on the Earth King's bad side, especially with the news they had. Most of them had stayed in the house for the past few days, with the exception of Aang. He had been going around, trying to find Appa. His searches always ended up bad because he never found him. 

By now, the group was getting stir-crazy because they hadn't left the house in days. At least, Konno was getting stir-crazy in the house. It reminded her of the Northern Water Tribe because she could barely go anywhere without someone looking for her. She felt stifled in here, especially because Katara still wasn't talking to her. She had tried multiple times, but Katara just wouldn't say a word.

Since Katara wasn't talking to her, she had spent most of her time with Sokka. They usually stayed in her room and talked about the weirdest things, like how he got a fishhook stuck in his lip or how she was a feisty little girl. It felt a little strange opening up to him, but he didn't seem to judge her for who she was. She was thankful for that.

Konno really wanted to talk to Katara today. She wanted to apologize to her and be on better terms with her. Being friends with Katara was one of the highlights in her life. She was sweet and funny and so nice. Konno didn't want to ruin it because of one silly argument. 

Konno was the first one up. She usually was so she made breakfast for them, but she really didn't want to do that today. Instead, she rolled out of bed and headed to the bathroom. Her hand pushed the door open. 

"It's occupied!" a voice said from inside.

Konno paused and closed her eyes so she wouldn't see anything. "Is that you, Katara?"

"Don't worry, I'm decent."

Konno opened her eyes and stepped into the bathroom. Katara was standing in front of the mirror, pulling her hair out of the braid. Her dark locks fell past her shoulders. "You know, I really like your hair down. It's pretty."

"Thank you," Katara said softly. She quickly turned around and walked out of the door, saying, "I'll make breakfast this morning."

She was gone before Konno could say anything. Her heart hurt, but she brushed her feelings aside. It was her fault that she made Katara angry at her, so she should just suffer the consequences. 

Konno stared at herself in the mirror, grabbing pieces of her hair in her hands. She pulled her hair up and then let it drop to her shoulders. She wanted to do something different with her hair, but she wasn't sure what to do. She was tired of how plain and boring she looked, and maybe changing up her hair would fix that. However, back at the Northern Water Tribe, Yue always did her hair. She only knew the basics, which wasn't enough to satisfy her wants. 

Konno sighed, shaking her head. She didn't know how to do her hair, so she just let it sit on her shoulders. Her sleek, dark hair looked tired and worn out, much like how she felt most of the time. But there was something about today that put a sparkle in her eyes. She didn't know what it was, but it felt nice. She picked pieces of her hair up again, pulling it back. She used her blue ribbon to tie it back. It looked slightly messy, but not half bad. Instead of untying the ribbon, she left it the way it was. Konno thought that it looked cute. 

The door to the bathroom opened and Katara poked her head in. "Breakfast is ready."

"That was fast," Konno said, glancing at her.

"Make way, make way! Sokka is coming!" Sokka yelled behind Katara. He shoved her into the bathroom before giving them looks. "I have to go to the bathroom, if you two don't mind."

Katara sighed and pushed Konno out of the bathroom. Sokka slammed the door in their faces, so Konno looked at Katara. She wouldn't really meet her eyes. "I'm sorry," Konno blurted out.