15

Emma

Ethan must've felt me get out of his grasp because a few seconds after I got up, he stirred around and sat up. His eyes were still mostly closed, but he got up.

"Morning, monkey." He said, his morning voice huskier than his usual voice. My knees almost buckled.

"How'd you sleep?" I asked. I was at the dresser, digging through my suitcase to find something to wear for the day until we would need to get ready for the wedding.

"Good. Thanks for letting me sleep on the bed."  He said, putting his arms on each side of me, his hands on the dresser. "I'm gonna go take a shower." He said. I glanced at him, and he absentmindedly pecked my lips as if it was a usual occurrence, then he walked towards the bathroom.

I stood there in shock for a moment. Ethan was half asleep when he did that, but why did it already feel so normal?

I grabbed a black tank top and a matching zip-up hoodie with a pair of jeans before I went down the hall to the guest bathroom to change. I brushed my teeth, then I brushed my hair out, and I headed back to the bedroom to grab my phone.

Right as I walked in, Ethan came out of the bathroom in nothing but a towel, and I couldn't help but stare. His chest was still dripping, his hair was wet, and damn did he had a six pack if I've ever seen one.

His eyes met mine, and he gave me his signature wink before he took his clothes back into the bathroom and shut the door.

I let out the breath is was holding in.

I have to tell him how I feel tonight. I can't torture myself by waiting to tell him. There's not one logical reason I can think of to wait any longer.

I sat on the bed, scrolling through my phone while I was waiting for Ethan to be done getting ready for the day.

A few minutes later, I felt Ethan climb onto the bed, sitting next to me. "Hey."

I put my phone down, glancing back at him. "You awake now?"

He smiled. "Yeah. Did I do anything stupid when I first got up?"

"I wouldn't call it stupid, but you did kiss me."

Ethan laughed. "That definitely wasn't stupid."

I blushed, looking down at the comforter. "I didn't think it was."

"So, everyone's coming over here for breakfast besides Caroline and Aunt Tracy." Ethan said. He checked his phone. "They're coming over at 11, so we have half an hour."

"Perfect. Man, I really enjoy your family, Ethan."

"I can tell that they really like you, monkey."

I smiled, feeling a blush come back to my face. That damn nickname.

I stood up from the bed. "We should probably get up, shouldn't we?"

Ethan got up and walked over to my side of the bed before taking my hand in his. "I have to show you something."

He led us out of the room, down the stairs and through the kitchen, the back hallway and into the backyard.

Still holding onto my hand, he walked ahead of me until we reached a gate. He let go of my hand so he could open the gate, and then he took it again.

"This is the garden." He said. I let go of his hand, taking the lead for myself and walking around. Even though it was wintertime, the garden was in a heated greenhouse, so it was warm enough for the plants to live.

It was beautiful.

There were white, purple and pink flowers along the walkway, and towards the other end was a little bench.

Ethan sat on it, putting his thumb on the little metal plate that read his brother's name.

"My mom made this after Grayson passed away. In his memory. He would've loved it. He always loved nature and man, if he could've seen all of this, he would've been so happy. I really wish he could've been here this weekend. I'm sure that if he was here, he would've been so excited to meet you."

My heart stopped. I had no clue what to think about what Ethan had just said. Does he mean he would've introduced me to Grayson as his girlfriend? I didn't know what Ethan meant. I just knew he needed my comfort and support right now.

I sat down, grabbing his hand. "I'm sorry he couldn't be here. If there's anything you need, please tell me. I'm here for you, Ethan. And if you need some alone time, I totally understand."

Ethan pulled my head so that I was leaning on his shoulder. "I just need moral support right now. Do you mind if we sit here quietly for just a few minutes?"

"That's perfectly fine with me." I said. I really didn't mind. In fact, it felt good to just sit there. Our heads leaning against one another's, and my hand resting on his. Completely relaxing silence.

It made me feel good that I was what Ethan needed in this moment. Even as a friend.

After a few minutes, I noticed that our breathing was in sync, and it made me realize how connected I feel to Ethan. There's just something about him that made me fall harder for him every time he's with me. Every time he looked at me. Every time his hand was in mine.

Finally, he spoke. "Thanks, Emma. For being here."

I looked at him. "I wouldn't have missed it for the world."

Ethan gave me a soft smile, standing up and pulling me up with him before he wrapped his arms around me in a hug. He gave the best hugs.

He was so warm, and comforting. Maybe he was only like that with me.

I hoped that he was only like that with me.

"Emma, you have no idea how much I appreciate you." He said, looking down at me.

I smiled up at him. "I'm happy to be here."

The moment turned more serious again, his eyes traveling mine. I was still in his tight hold, but I never wanted to leave it. He softly kissed me on the cheek, showing that he was truly appreciative of my being here for him.

I looked back into his eyes, and he pressed his forehead against mine. I thought we were going to kiss, I mean, we were going to, but then we got interrupted.

"Hey, Ethan." Ethan pulled away from me, his hand lacing into mine as we both looked up.

"Oh. Hey, Zack. Hey, Kayla. This is my girlfriend, Emma." He said. I love it when he calls me his girlfriend.

The girl, Kayla walked over to me and gave me a hug. "It's so nice to meet you. I'm Zack's girlfriend."

"Hi. It's nice to meet you too." I said, pulling away and smiling at her.

Ethan gave her a quick hug before we all headed back towards the house. It was breakfast time, so Lisa and Sean must've sent Zack and Kayla to come get Ethan and I from the garden.

As we walked, Ethan glanced at me every once in a while, always with a soft smile on his face.

It was now clear to me that I wasn't the only one falling.