Chapter 1

As I sit on the chair near the window with a cup of coffee in my hands. I stare into the view outside which gave me the calmness I always wanted.

The evening breeze that touched my skin made me numb already.

It was like that coldness doesn't bother me. Decembers breezy wind touches my skin with all the gentleness it could have.

A sip of my coffee sent warmness inside of me.

The neighborhood I can see right now is already prepared for Christmas, with different decorations that are giving life on this dark night.

There are also children who are singing a caroling song in the front yard of the house, in front of where I am sitting. That house is just meters away from the house where I am.

Their songs that have reached my ears made me smile a bit.

How jolly they could be. Those carolers are also in here a while ago. The energy they had every time they sing never faded.

Advantage of being a kid. Kasiyahan ang nakalalamang lalo na sa panahong katulad nito.

A click on the door sent me out of my thoughts. The keys that are colliding makes a melodic sound.

It was followed by heavy steps. And the silhouette of a man approaches me.

The light in the living room is open and the light here in the kitchen where I am is closed.

The moment he's near me, he kisses me on my cheek.

"Good evening love" Gino my live-in partner said.

Gino and I had been together for seven years. We had been living together for four years.

"Good evening, have you eaten already?" I ask him while he's standing in front of me a little distant.

"Oo tapos na sa office kanina. Birthday ng workmate ko nag blowout". He said while trying to remove his tie.

" Ah, okay. Sige na mag bihis ka na. Akala ko hindi ka pa kumain. Nag luto pa naman ako kanina" I said as I stand to get the food on the counter and just place it in the refrigerator.

"Sige. Good night" he said again then leave.

I didn't really get bothered by the distance he was giving me. Maybe he's up to leaving for our room to get change already.

That kind of setup is not unusual for me anymore. We had been living together for long. And as time goes by we already got used to being like that.

After I place the food in the refrigerator, I wash my hand. As I stare at it, the small diamond on the ring I'm wearing reflects a light.

I stare on it for a long and a tear escaped my eyes.

"Alona Hera Quiron, will you marry me?" Gino ask me while kneeling in front of me with the ring in his hand and a wide smile plastered on his face.

I was shocked by his sudden proposal. 

I didn't expect him to propose to me. Yes, we had been in a boyfriend-girlfriend relationship for three years.

And him kneeling before me now made my heart flutter even more.

"Gosh ang sweet naman. Say yes na Alona!" one of my relative exclaimed.

Hindi ko na magawang lingunin ang kung sino mang nagsabi noon. My full attention now is on Gino who looks nervous about the answer I might give him.

To equate the smile he was giving me I smiled back at him and extend my hand and said, "Yes I will".

The cheering from my relative subside. I can even hear some who squirm out of kilig. Siguro ang mga pinsan ko iyon. After Gino place the engagement ring on me and hugged me tight while kissing my forehead.

His tallness covered me with his hugged that is tight but still shows gentleness. It was like he claimed me fully and officially in front of my family and his, but with gentleness as if he's afraid to break me.

I care less about that as of this moment. For Gino asking for my hand in front of my family and relatives made me happier.

Christmas eve becomes more special for me. The eve where we will start a new journey of us.

"Congratulation anak. I'm so happy for you" my mom said while hugging me after Gino and I withdraw from the hug.

My Father taps Gino's back and congratulates me too. Tita Linda Gino's mother approaches us as well.

"I'm so proud of you son," Tita said then embrace Gino while tears are on her eyes.

She then hugs me after Gino.

"Alona anak, habaan mo ang pasensya mo sa anak ko ha. I'm so happy for the both of you" Tita said, still with tears. She withdraws from the hug.

Tita Linda raise Gino alone for her husband died when Gino was still a kid. Kaya naman sobrang lapit nila sa isa't isa.

Many more greetings and congratulations from our family and close friends came.

After the Noche Buena kasi nag propose si Gino in front of everyone and here on my parents' house garden near the pool.

The tears fell on the ring I'm wearing. I reach for the towel beside and dried my hands with that soft cloth.

Its softness made me feel at ease. At least there's still something in this house as gentle as this.

I wipe the tears from my eyes after that and proceeded to our room.

As I enter our room wala si Gino sa higaan. Marahil ay nasa banyo pa ito. I sat on the chair in front of the table with a huge mirror in front of me. The light it has come from the light bulb that surrounds the border frame of the mirror, which gave me enough light while staring at my face.

I immediately started my skincare routine after I saw Gino came out of the comfort room.

He's drying his hair with the white towel on his shoulder. Wearing his gray sweatpants and white v-neck shirt as he sat on the edge of the bed.

Silence still evident in the room until I broke it.

"Come here I'll dry your hair," I said after I finish my things and stand up leaving the chair and showing him to sit on that chair for me to dry his hair.

He sat on the chair I'm sitting before. I manipulated the hair blow-drier while the towel was still on his shoulder.

While drying his hair no one spoke between us. I can see his reflection in the mirror.

With his shot eyes, his eyebrows on arc show that he had drained his energy today at work.

Tila sobrang pagod na pagod sya sa araw na to.

His greeted jaw and defined lips are in a stern manner. Until he opens his eyes and also stare at me in the mirror. A smile lit on his lips while looking at me.

"How was your day?" I ask him still drying his black hair that has reached the top of his eyebrow.

"It's tiring but it's okay. The usual" he said.

Then silence filled us again. A minute after I am already done drying his hair.

"Matutulog na ako" he said then he kissed my lips for a second and go to the bed leaving the towel at the backrest of the chair.

I watch him lay on the bed and cover himself with the comforter.

Inayos ko lang muna ang mga ginamit kanina at saka humiga na rin sa tabi nya. He's facing the opposite side while I was facing his back.

Tumalikod ako at inabot ang switch ng ilaw sa gilid ko saka ito in-off. Tanging ang kaunting ilaw na nagmumula sa lampshade sa gilid ko ang nagbibigay ng liwanag sa silid.

Unti-unti ay hinila na din ako ng aking antok. While us laying on the bed facing the opposite side of each other.