chapter five: a day in the life

*Keefe POV*

"So, what do you think of the new girl?" Fitz asks out of nowhere. 

"Umm, I'm sorry, what? You mean Foster right? Well I think she's quite the catch," I wink at Fitz jokingly.

He chuckles, "Come on Keefe, seriously."

"She is quite the catch! You gonna go get her?" I tease Fitz. But in reality, I really don't want him to go after Sophie, like he does with every other cute girl. Like, leave some for me, man. And I get that girls aren't prizes that we can win, but I don't know if Fitz understands that. It's like if he has a crush on a girl all he does is do things for them just so that they like him. He doesn't want to be their friend. He wants to be their boyfriend. 

"No. I think I need to stop being such a ladies man. I'm enjoying the single life." Fitz continues to dip the bug net into his pool. 

"So you enjoy getting love notes every day?" I start unboxing the floaties that had previously been in a pile beside me.

"That's an exaggeration. I only get love notes on Valentines Day. And besides, I only got five last time."

"Oh, riggghhhhttttt, you only got five. I'm sorry, I seem to have forgotten. Then why do I have," I whip out a package of (definitely more than five) love notes addressed to Fitz, "these?"

"I don't know Keefe, why do you have my personal property in your pockets?"

"Because you always have to think ahead," I tap on my temple.

"How could you have thought of this situation?!" Fitz exclaims.

"Trust me, I carry these around whenever you're single," I say cooly.

"W-w-why are we friends?"

"What would you do without me?"

"Finally," I flop onto Fitz's bed

"Finally," I flop onto Fitz's bed. We spent hours setting up the stereo, blowing up the floaties, cleaning the pool, putting out lawn chairs, making a playlist, and sending out invites. Now it's finally time to relax. 

"Whatcha doin, losers?"

"No, it's: how are you, my dear brother, and his obnoxiously handsome best friend, Keefe?" I reply, not looking up from my phone.

"Well I'm doing just wonderfully. Thank you for asking nicely."

"No problem, big brother."

"Could you guys stop being weird?" Biana asks impatiently. "I have something to ask you guys!"

"Shoot," Fitz continues to scroll through Instagram.

"Could you get off your phones and listen to me?!?!" Biana screams.

"Geez, you sound like mom," Fitz sits up. 

"Whatever. My question is..." Biana pulls out two dresses, "will Ryan like this one," she holds up a hideous lavender dress, "or this one?" she holds up a very skimpy black thing. 

"I think that mom won't like to second one, and the first one," Fitz gags.

"Geez Biana, it's a pool party, shouldn't you be showing us disgusting bikinis or something?" Right as I finish my sentence, Biana throws something at my face. I shake it off and look down to see a pair of underwear. "Ewwww, Biana, don't throw undergarments at a man!"

"Those are bikini bottoms, blockhead! And you're not a man," she snatches the clothes from the bed and crosses her arms. "Whatever, you guys are no help," she storms out. 

"Your sister's weird," I say to Fitz as I return to my phone.

"No need to remind me."

"Bye Fitzypoo," I call out as I walk to Ro's car

"Bye Keefe!"

"Dude, are you gonna get in, or what?" Ro leans over to the passenger side of the car. "If you don't get in in ten seconds, I'm taking away your shotgun privileges for a whole week."

"What!?!" I slide into the car and close the door hastily. 

"Come on, Funkyhair." With that, we drive home.

"Dad!" I shout out into the empty halls. "Gone again," I mutter. I trudge up the stairs, taking two at a time. The lights are all off, making the empty house even more ominous. I open the door to my room and flop onto my bed. I'm too tired to get ready, so I get under the covers and drift off into a dreamless sleep.

Sorry about the short chapter, but I hope you liked it!