chapter 29: marella's announcement/triple double

*Marella POV*

After week of self reflection, (and phone calls with Sophie and Linh. And a long talk with Biana,) I've made my choice. I need to break up with Tam.

...

We head into the opposing team's school, and we follow the crowd to the gym. Inside, loud music is blaring through speakers, and the boys are warming up. I dance a little to the beat as we make our way to the student section. We all take our seats, mine next to Linh and Sophie, with Biana on Sophie's right. 

They introduce all the players, they do their handshake, we all sing the national anthem, yada yada yada... finally it's time for the game to start.

The ref throws the ball in the air, Fitz and this really tall guy matched up, and they jump. Fitz tips the ball the Keefe, and he takes lobs it to Tam, who's running. They score. 

The first half's got me thinking that this will be a blow out.

"I'm gonna go get snacks," Sophie gets up from her seat at halftime, Biana following in tow. "Do you guys want anything?"

"Slushie please!" Linh and I say at the same time. We burst out laughing.

"What flavor?"

"Watermelon."

"Green apple."

"Watermelon's not an option."

"Fine," I huff, "cherry."

The game starts back up again, and the boys continue to destroy their opponents.

"I thought this was supposed to be a good game," Linh leans back. 

"Yeah," I mutter, pulling out my phone. 

"And Keefe Sencen with the three!" the announcer bellows.

"How many points is that for Keefe?" Sophie asks from the stairs, holding five slushies, two bags of popcorn, and three suckers. 

"I think fifteen," Linh counts on her fingers. "Yep! Fifteen."

"Steals?" Sophie asks. When we don't answer, she turns and starts walking up to the videographers. "I'm gonna go give Dex his suckers and slushie while you guys think about it."

Once she returns, we each take our food and Linh finishes counting, "twelve."

"Already? Wow," Sophie slurps the rest of her slushie. 

"You're done already? Wow."

She laughs. "Let's see... blocks?"

"I think he has ni-"

BEEEEP!!! 

The buzzer cuts me off. "Fourth quarter, here we come."

I takes about a minute for Keefe to get a block. 

"TRIPLE DOUBLE!!" Sophie stands up, (along with the majority of the fans) and thrusts up her hand, which is still holding a bag of popcorn. "GO KEEFE!! GO KEEFE!!! GO KEEFE!!!"

At first, our fans are silent, and staring at her like she's a crazy woman. Sophie starts to blush and lowers her hand when Biana, Linh and I stand up and start chanting with her. 

"GO KEEFE!!! GO KEEFE!!! GO KEEFE!!! GO KEEFE!!! GO KEEFE!!! GO KEEFE!!! GO KEEFE!!! GO KEEFE!!! GO KEEFE!!! GO KEEFE!!!" 

Soon we've got the whole school chanting with us. I look at Tam, who's on the bench, scowling, but I can tell he's holding back a smile.

Poor guy. He won't be smiling once I break the news. 

"Wait, why are we chanting for Keefe again? He didn't even do that much," Linh stops chanting. 

"Cause Sophie started it," Biana answers, smirking.

The game ends, and the boys go into the locker rooms. I follow them down as the others go to Dex. 

Time to tell him.

I take a few deep breaths and I hear the boys finishing up.

"...good job guys...Keefe, you managed to get a whole section of the bleachers cheering for you... Fitz, your jumping has gotten better... Marcus, good job... Tam, nice work out there..."

"Oh, no." He's gonna be in a good mood!

I fold my hands in front of me, and step around the corner nervously. The team is dispersing, so I take my opportunity. 

"Hey, hon," I grab his hand from behind, "can we talk?" 

"Yeah," he looks so confused, but lets me drag him to a private spot in the room. "What's wrong?"

"I was just thinking..." I bite my lip. "About our relationship and stuff..."

"What are you saying?" 

Oh no. He sounds angry now.

"Marella?!?!"

"We should," I choke on my saliva, "break up..." I whisper. 

"What?" he mutters. "Why?"

"I think you would be better off with me as just a friend..."

"What's the point of being friends?!?" Tam grabs his stuff and storms away angrily. 

"Wait, Tam!" I call after him, but he doesn't turn around. "Tam..."

...

*Sophie POV*

"Foster, I thought I was the one with the fanclub," Keefe says, throwing his towel over his shoulder. "But you seem to be catching on. The Foster-Keefe Fanclub. We can combine my fanclub of you, and your fanclub of me, and create the ultimate fanclub!" he beams.

"I'm sure more fanclubs will come after ours," I comment.

"What?"

"Ultimate doesn't mean best. It means last."

"Petty."

"Egotistical."

"I haven't even bragged about my triple double! By the way, did you see that three from deep, it was pretty impressive."

"Ugh. What did I tell you?"

"Chipmunk."

"What? Rude."

"No, it's a compliment. You look cute when you get angry."

Right on cue, I start to get flustered.

"See, that's what I'm talking about," Keefe pulls out his phone, "I gotta get a picture of this. I have to make this my screensaver!"

"Hmph," I pout.

"Oh dang, you are just doing it to yourself at this point," Keefe laughs.

"How about you brag about your triple double instead?"