chapter six: fitz's back to school bash

Sorry about the late update! I wrote chapter five on Monday but forgot to publish it. Silly me. Anyways, hope you like the chapter!

"Sophie, you have to come!" Marella pleads from the other side of the phone. 

"Ouch, that hurt my ears."

"Girl, get your best swimsuit and crash that party! We can all go in a group: you, me, Linh, Tam, and Dex."

I consider her offer for a second. "Fine," I growl. 

"Good. Now stop your fretting and get on that swimsuit. Facetime me when you're done," Marella ends the call. 

"Ugh," I groan. 

"Not that again!" Sandor walks through the door. I slam it in his face. 

"Sorry, I have to get changed!" I walk over to my monstrous (and nearly empty) closet and rummage through the bottom shelves. All the stuff hanging above are my real clothes, but below are my undergarments and socks. So hopefully I can find a swimsuit in there. Though, likely not. 

I continue searching for the next ten minutes, only to find nothing.  I pull out my phone and reluctantly call Linh. "Hey."

"Hey, girl! Swimsuit problems?"

"How did you know!"

"I may not be able to read minds, but I do know you."

"How do you know me so well?" 

"Dex has told me all about you." I raise an eyebrow.

"Dex? Interesting..." I wiggle my eyebrows.

Linh blushes profusely. "We're just friends!" she protests.

"Don't worry, you guys would make a cute couple!" I squeal. 

"Whatever," Linh says, still blushing. "Now, onto the subject at hand, your bikini."

"What? I never agreed to that! I'm modest, you know!"

"I see you. I prefer not to wear bikinis because they make me look... well, not good. I have an extra two-piece I've never worn that I think would look great on you. I'll bring it to Everglen and you can change there. I'm sure Biana won't mind."

"Biana?"

"Oh! She's Fitz Vacker's sister. She's cool. I thought she would be a spoiled brat like her ex-friends, but turns out she's not. I have her number, so I can ask her if you can change there, although I don't think you'll need permission."

"Wait- Vacker? Like, Alden's kids?"

"Yeah! How do you know Alden? Biana has never mentioned you," Linh asks, obviously surprised. 

"He's good friends with Grady and Edaline."

"Grady and Edaline..." Linh fiddles with her lip, "Ruewen! I didn't know they had another kid."

"Uh- well... you see," my palms start to heat up, "I'm adopted."

"Oh, my gods! I'm so sorry! I didn't know! Aww, dangit..." she trails off, keeping her head down.

"It's okay, don't beat yourself up about it." There's a moment of silence, not an awkward silence, but thoughtful silence, between us until I switch the subject. "What does the swimsuit look like?"

"It's gorgeous!" Linh immediately brightens up. "It's creme colored with this ribbed texture. The top is almost like a sports bra, with a high neckline that goes to the bottom of your collarbone. The bottoms have amazing coverage. You'll love it!"