chapter sixteen: ditching spot

Whew. Last chapter was hectic, as I predicted. I love how it only has two votes (both of which, are me from my two accounts). Shoutout to @foster_chase_granger and Ari-KA for the comments. Anyways, enjoy!

*Keefe POV*

I slip into an empty hallway, and creep along the empty lockers. Ahh, baby... my ditching spot. I open the small door in a gap between the rows of lockers and start to climb in when I hear a voice at the end of the hall.

"Yes," the voice pauses, "I'm sorry, but I stand by what I said," it sounds like a phone call, "last time I read it was in first grade... yeah I read it again... of course I liked it... do I like it better?.......... no comment," there's a beeping noise and a groan, "dangit Linh, just making my life harder," the voice mumbles. I grin to myself. That must have been about the event two Fridays ago, of course they're still stuck on it. I step one foot in when I hear another voice. 

"Come on, man, you've been at school for, like a month and you still are getting lost," it sounds like Foster's voice. "Wait- what? I have a break period? Wait, this is lunch, isn't? Sophie, you have photographic memory! How do I always get this wrong?" yep. Definitely Foster. 

"You lost?" *okay, is that what he actually says, cause that was just a coincidence and now I kind of wish I knew?*

"AWGIJARJV!" Foster jumps a mile into the air. "Don't sneak up on me like that!" she scolds. I smirk. "And no, I'm not lost."

She crosses her arms and purses her lips. "I heard that whole conversation you had with yourself, Foster."

"Oh, you did," she blushes and looks down at the ground for a second. "What are you doing down here?"

"This is my ditching spot," I say sheepishly. 

"In the middle of the hall?"

"No," I chuckle, "down this way," I lead her to the slightly ajar door in the gap of the lockers, (which I have dubbed 'the gateway to heaven') and we stepped in. Let me describe my secret paradise; it's about the size of a janitor's closet (but much more luxurious, trust me, I would know) but painted white, (well, originally) and in the corner is a table of deserts and a mini fridge.

"Who painted these walls?" Dangit she noticed. 

"I don't know," I murmur, looking down at the floor. 

"What's wrong, is something wrong? Oh no, did I say something, I'm sorry, I-"

"No, no, it's just, it's stupid..."

"Stupid? Have you seen me?" she scoofs, "Keefe, I would never think so lowly of anyone!"

"...you know that time I yelled at you over text not too long ago?" she nods. "It has to do with that. You see," I take a deep breath, "you see, I painted the walls," she gasps, "my dad, doesn't approve. He thinks art is a waste of time."

When no response comes, I look up to see Foster running her hands along the wall. She smiles, her face lighting up. "Talent is never a waste of time," she whispers.

Now it's my turn to blush. After a moment, I stand up beside her and wrap an arm around her shoulders. She flinches from my touch, and I start to recoil, but then she grabs my hand and holds it. She rests her head on my shoulder and we stand there for a while, in peace and quiet.

Short and sweet! Have a great rest of your week! 

Not edited.