chapter 22: the game

Enjoy!

*Sophie POV* 

"Okay, Sophie, you'll play on the left wing, Stina, play on the right." We nod, as coach lists off the formation. "Okay, team, this is the third game of the season, Sophie, I'm sorry you missed the first two," coach straightens up, and puts his clipboard back in the equipment bag. "Guys, just don't trip over the ball, okay? You guys are so talented, but you keep losing your balance. Okay? Don't trip over the ball."

"Hey, guys, we're ready for kickoff, captains please?" the ref requests. Coach sends Stina and Devin, (our goalie) to do heads or tails with the other team. 

"What'd we get?" he asks when they finally come back.

"We get this side, and they start with the ball."

"Good. Okay, starters, get out there."

I run to my spot on the field nervously. 

These guys are giants. But you're fast. I tell myself. Deep breaths in, deep breaths out

*Keefe POV*

*Keefe POV*

TWEEET!!!! Keira drops the ball back to Skylar, who takes a touch and passes it out to Foster. She takes it down the line, and crosses it to Keira, who's running. Keira gets the ball, and passes it to Sarah, (the forward), and she takes a touch and shoots, missing the right post by a centimeter. 

The crowd, "awwwwws!" and the other team's goalie takes the goal kick, and boots it over the half line. The game goes on another sixty minutes before anyone scores. The other team has a breakaway, and the girl shoots the ball top corner, Devin missing it by an inch. 

"YEAHHHHHH!!!!!!" the fans roar. 

"Darn."

The game goes on like this for a while, until we get into stoppage time. That's when things start to go right for our team. 

There's a corner kick. The adrenaline is rising, you can feel it. Skylar backs up to take it. Contact. WHOOSH!!! The ball soars to the left side of the field, right where Foster's running. She cuts in, getting by one girl, and does a stepover to get through the next. She's about to shoot when someone slide-tackles her from behind. 

She was not going for the ball.

The ref stops the game, and everyone backs away from the fallen girl. I move closer to the field. The medical team (it's a rich school, okay?) comes out and starts trying to get her to stand up. 

She looks really hurt.

The ref gives the slide-tackle girl a red card, and they move Foster off the field. The ref calls a penalty, and Stina lines up to take the shot. 

As Stina runs towards the ball, I run towards Foster, who is by the coach's bench. 

"Is she okay?"

"I hope."

I turn towards Stina, who is running to follow her shot, which is headed towards the right side net. She makes it. 

"YEAHHHHHHHHH!!!! GO FUNGIIIIII!!!! STINA!!! AND SOPHIEEEE!!! WOOOHHOOOO!!! YEAH!!!! NUMBER 23!!!!!!!!!" someone calls from the audience, and everyone starts clapping. I start to clap, but then a groan comes from behind me. 

"She's waking up! We need to find Elwin."

Oh no! Sophie's hurt! Who's even surprised though? Have a great day!