Chapter 16; Never Been Kissed

UNEDITED

While absentmindedly petting her dog, Davy dialed the phone number Scott had written on her wrist. The woman picked up on the second ring.

"Hey, It's Lee. I heard you were looking for a job, and your cousin, Scott, recommended you for the open roadie position I'm looking to fill before my next gig." 

An excited gasp could be heard coming from the other end of the call, "This isn't some kind of prank, is it?" 

Davy chuckled, "Nope. Scott's actually a close friend of mine, and he  mentioned that you enjoy traveling, so I was wondering if you would like to come in for an interview sometime later this week." 

Lucinda responded the second Davy finished her sentence, "Yes! Of course! I'd love to get an interview. Just name a time and place." 

Davy looked down at her practically empty schedule like there was something she'd have to take into consideration before planning anything. With the wedding about a month and a half away and no booked gigs, Davy was growing bored. 

"You could literally name any time and place and I'd probably be able to make it work," Davy explained, "If I'm being honest, I don't need the position filled for a couple months, so you can take all the time you'd like to consider it. I'm just excruciatingly bored, so I've decided to knock a couple things off my to-do list." 

Lucinda laughed briefly, "Of course. If you don't mind me asking, how are you acquainted with my cousin? He doesn't get out much, so I can't really find an explaination as to how he met you." 

Davy smiled, amused. Finally, she decided there was really no point in hiding her home address anymore. Everybody's already found it, and the security fence had been put up about a week ago. 

"He's my neighbor, actually." 

Lucinda remained silent for a solid minute before her silence was broken by shriek. Davy laughed loudly as she walked through her house, the phone still pressed to her ear. 

"I know, right?" she chuckled, "I didn't know you two were related until after I got back from New York. I was fairly surprised as well." 

Lucinda hummed along, "I thought he said his neighbor's name was Davy." 

Davy sighed, quickly running through the consequences of spilling her identity to somebody she wasn't entirely sure she could trust. Finally, she came to one concluion. Screw it. 

"Up until I got back from New York, Scott was unaware of my occupation," she explained, "He knows me better by my real name and identity, which is why he calls me Davy." 

"Oh. That makes sense, I guess," Lucinda replied, unbothered. 

"I'm still trying to keep my identity on the backburner, so I'd appreciate it if you could keep that information to yourself until I can fly you down here for the interview." 

"Hold on," Lucinda started hesitantly, "You are telling me that every time Scott was talking about Davy he was talking about you, right?" 

Davy furrowed her eyebrows, unaware of where she was heading, "Yeah, pretty much. He's mentioned me?" 

Lucinda laughed, "... dude, he's practically in love with you." 

Davy screamed at her empty house, aggravated. These weren't words. No. She just stood in the middle of her living room, screaming like her leg was being chopped off. 

Finally, she returned to the call, "YOU TOO? WHY DOES EVERYBODY KEEP SAYING THAT?" 

Lucinda's laughter only grew in volume as she attempted to speak, "Sorry, I didn't mean to dig into something that's none of my business."