Messages in the Waffle

As they sat in the carriage, Maxima noticed that it was only Hermione, Ron, Ginny, Theodore, Draco, Luna and Harry

As they sat in the carriage, Maxima noticed that it was only Hermione, Ron, Ginny, Theodore, Draco, Luna and Harry. "Did anyone see that Grubbly-Plank woman?" asked Ginny with a worried look, "Hagrid can't have left, can he?"

Maxima looked outside to the silent Thestrals when she heard Theodore reply, "I don't quite know."

"I'll be quite glad if he has," said Luna, "he isn't a very good teacher, is he?"

"Yes, he is!" said Maxima, Harry, Ron, Blaise and Ginny angrily.

Harry glared at Hermione. She cleared her throat and quickly said, "Erm ... yes ... he's very good."

Maxima had glared at Draco who turned slightly pink and said, "Well, he does have a passion for the subject, I suppose."

Maxima nodded before turning to Luna with a fierce expression, "He's brilliant and while he does sometimes not know what's dangerous, he's absolutely amazing."

"Well, we in Ravenclaw think he's a bit of a joke," said Luna, unfazed.

"You've got a rubbish sense of humour then," Ron snapped, as the wheels below them creaked into motion.

Luna didn't seem fazed, she just stared at Ron as though he were a puzzle. Maxima cleared her throat and turned to the window.

Rattling and swaying, the carriages moved in convoy up the road. When they passed between the tall stone pillars topped with winged boars on either side of the gates to the school grounds, Maxima leaned around to see Hogwarts in its beauty. Hogwarts Castle came ever so closer: a towering mass of turrets, jet black against the dark sky, here and there a window blazing fiery bright above them. It was something out of a fantasy book, Maxima giggled in her mind at that joke. She would draw this later definitely. Shades of black with warm tones of orange lanterns and lights. Yeah, maybe she'll turn it into a poster.

The carriages halted near the huge oak doors. Maxima took a deep breath in as Poseidon got up, ready to move. Harry got out first and everyone followed. Maxima was the last one out as Poseidon rushed out before her. She closed her eyes before opening them to gaze at the castle of her dreams. Maxima smiled as she walked up to the castle. Most girls dreamed of castles with their prince and balls where they could dance their night away. Maxima had only one castle in her mind, Hogwarts.

Once she entered she noticed that the Entrance Hall was ablaze with torches and echoing with footsteps as the students crossed the flagged stone floor for the double doors to the right, leading to the Great Hall and the start-of-term feast.

The four long house tables in the Great Hall were filling up under the starless black ceiling, which was just like the sky they could glimpse through the high windows. Candles floated in midair all along the tables, illuminating the silvery ghosts who were dotted about the Hall and the faces of the students talking eagerly, exchanging summer news, shouting greetings at friends from other houses, eyeing one another's new haircuts and robes. Maxima smiled but it fell as she saw people whispering and staring at them.