Twenty One - Omens

Megumi woke up to a chilly morning. The air felt heavy, like a storm was coming. She looked from her window and saw that the sky was grey and the neighbourhood was unusually quiet. Today felt like an ominous day. But maybe it was just her feeling and she just missed last night's weather forecast. She groggily got up went to the bathroom to get herself ready for school. What she failed to notice when she looked at the window, however, was the note plastered in the lower right side of the glass pane, containing the words, "See you later, babe."

She showered, made breakfast and readied herself for the day and when she was done, she made her way outside. Strange, Suna should be here by now. She glanced at her wristwatch, he is 10 minutes later his usual arrival. Still, she decided to wait for a little while longer.

After another 10 minutes, no Suna still showed up in her front gate. She remembered something she read from a gossip magazine:

Boys are not always consistent. There will always be a time when they fail to do something that they usually do, and its okay if this happens rarely. However, if this becomes a frequent occurrence, take that as a red flag and immediately talk to your partner about it, before it becomes worse.

Perhaps this is one of those days, when her boyfriend, no, scratch that, when Suna decides to slack off and forget to pick her up from her home. Having made her conclusion, Megumi left the apartment complex and walked towards school, and she knows she's probably running late.

Halfway through her journey, she felt it again – the eyes that seem to follow her every move. She turned to the corner and still felt it follow her. She quickened her pace. Suddenly, she heard faint footsteps trailing behind her. Now Megumi's heart is beating like crazy and bad thoughts are running on her mind. What if it's him?

She felt someone closing in behind her but she did not dare turn around. Instead, she started to run. True enough, the one following her started to run as well.

Megumi ran faster, but her pursuer still caught up to her and was finally able to grab her wrist. He forced her to turn around. Megumi saw him, still wearing the same mask he had last time. "I miss you, babe." And then he let out a maniacal laugh. There was nobody around to hear her scream for help.

--

Suna's POV

Suna woke up at the sound of his mother yapping away early in the morning. She pulled his blanket away from him, exposing him to the chilly air of the morning.

"Rintaro! It's already late! Don't you have school today? I've been yelling at you for five minutes now and you still slept like a log, get up now and hurry downstairs for breakfast!"

He groggily pulled back his blanket and got really annoyed by his mother's early morning rap. He hastily opened his eyes and glanced at the window, seeing that the sky is all grey. "It's still dark."

"Dark? Give me a break, young man! Look at the time!" He did and he saw it was 6:34AM. Shit!

Suna hurriedly got up from his bed, not even bothering to put a shirt on, and sprinted towards the bathroom to brush his teeth and wash his face. By the time he got out, his mother was already gone and so he stripped and changed into his uniform. Crap, I don't even have time for shower. He just rubbed a wet towel all over himself so he won't smell and sprayed on his deodorant. Nevermind, I can just shower after the game. He got his sportsbag where his jerseys and extra change is available. He then sent a text to Megumi.

"Sorry, I woke up late. Are you on your way to school already?"

Perhaps it was because he was so tired due to their practice that's why he took his fatigue on his sleep time. Who are you kidding, jerk?