Nobody Knows That

GOTVELVET SHIP: Mark x Wendy
GENRE: angst, historical
SONGSPIRATION: Nobody Knows That by Kat Edmonson

• • — — — • •

"May I have this dance?"

Wendy had gladly took the hand of a gentleman who had just offered her his hand and had invited him over for a dance.

It was the young gentleman that owns her heart.

After a month of free from terror of the world war, Mark settles down with Wendy at the southern part of America.

Finally, they were able to enjoy their time together.

No enemies to shoot,
No wounded allies to heal.

"You know I missed seeing that beautiful smile of yours. Finally, I was able to witness something that is close to enough to be considered a paradise after being trapped in hell for years."

Wendy could not stop herself from flushing, teeth nibbling down on her lower lip as she tried not to smile too wide.

Mark sure knows how to make her heart flutter. But he remains completely oblivious on how his words affect her — how her heart mimics a near cardiac arrest experience whenever he utters something sweet.

No, he doesn't know that.

"So what's your plan, huh? You know we're not getting any younger, right?"

It was a question she asked that brings uncertainty to her intentions.

She hoped he'd surprise her with a sudden change of heart.
But she suppose, when a heart has found the right direction, it will never change course for anything — for anyone.

"I am planning to propose to her."

Never had she ever thought that seven little words would be enough to crash someone's world down and break her heart into tiny little pieces that with mere attempt of fixing it would make you bleed with its broken pieces.

"But I am afraid that a war might break out again and that she will be left with no one by her side and it'll only break her heart even more."

"Mark, if you really want to marry her then you should go for it. Ask her and yourself if you are willing to face the consequences that may come in your hands given that you are a soldier who will fight until his last breath for his country. And if she says yes, then marry her. 'Til death do you and Irene part, remember? You are a soldier after all, man up!"

They broke out into soft laughters, but the other tasted bitter.

"Thank you, Wendy. You have stuck by my side for years now and had understood me so well. Thank you."

For years, she stood beside Mark and had always been the only person to understand him and aid him in every step of the way. Wendy took courage to study medicine despite of the struggles she had to go through just so she could heal every wound Mark will gain from the battles of war and the battles of life.

He was the only one that her heart wanted, but his heart wanted another.

And there she sees the eyes of the man he loves light up as the woman he loves had entered the scene.

It was that kind of stare she wished he would lay on her.

"What are you waiting for, Soldier Mark?"

Wendy had let her hands fall back to her side and took a small step back away from him to give him way.

"Go get her."

A smile,
A pat on the shoulder,
And a soft 'thank you'.

Those were the last few things he had given her.

Those were the last things she had cherished the most before she had finally set herself free from the years of being stuck in an unrequited love.

And there she was, smiling as he watch the love of her life get down on his knee and ask the woman that he loves the question she wished that was asked to her instead.

"Will you marry me, Irene?"