The Grave

GOTVELVET SHIP: Mark x Yeri
GENRE: angst
SONGSPIRATION: The Grave by Kate Vogel

• • — — — • •

Darkness came around as the clouds above thicken, hinting a possible downpour.

The people who had come to watch as the body of their beloved settle down in a place six feet under the ground had started to walk themselves out of the scene, head back home, and go on with their lives — but not for the other half of the person laying down in that grave.

Yeri and Mark had their whole lives figured out at an early age. All that was left for them to do was to achieve all of it one by one.

Their days were mostly filled with blue skies and rainbows, and storms would hardly stay in to destroy them because their love for one another is way too strong that the storm would instantly dissolve.

He loves her, and so does she.

There would be days wherein they would find themselves throwing loving gazes towards one another, melting away completely to the feeling of loving and being loved.

Little by little, their plans had carried out so smoothly.

Graduating with honors.
Having a stable job.
Building a house of their own.
Living together.
Getting engaged.

And there were only two things that were left in the list:

To get married,
And to have their own kids.

But that would be far too impossible to be taken out of the list that now, one of them is gone.

"How am I supposed to go on? How are we supposed to finish off our plans and live happily together for the rest of our lives when you are already gone?"

The sky had cried along with the heart that has been torn.

A heart that seeks answers
as to why an end must come too soon,
why does it have to end like this when they could have seen how the sun rises after a cold terrifying night.

Then the heart wanted to blame something for the void being felt within.

And so, it chose to blame that moment when they have decided that it would be better for them to just head back home and spend the night together at their house amidst the strong hurricane that was about to crash down their city.

If they had only paid attention to the warnings given, if only they had taken the offer of their great friend to stay in for the night and let the storm pass first, then one of them would not have to be there — none of them would have to stand there by the grave and cry their heart out as if it will bring the lifeless back into life.

A car crashed,
leaving two lives at stake.
They fought hard for their lives,
Until one of them had given up the fight.

Knees began to wobble until it had finally made contact with the grass.
The pool of tears we're covered by the drops of the rain.

"I fought so hard for us. I fought my way back into life so we could be together and fulfill all of our dreams, but why couldn't you do the same? Why didn't you fight your way out of death? Why do you have to leave me alone like this?"

First comes the sorrow.

"No. You cannot live me like this. This is not you inside the coffin. You are somewhere out there, right? Alive and healthy? Like what we have promised, we will be together for the rest of my life. This isn't happening. Please wake me up and take me out of this nightmare."

Then comes the denial.

"It hurts. It hurts so much that I just want to take my heart out of my chest so I do not have to feel this. If you were only here to hug me and kiss all the pain away. But you are in a better place now. I hope you aren't dealing with the same pain as mine. Watch over me, okay?"

And lastly, the acceptance.

He stumbled, but was still able to manage to stand on both of his feet.

Mark had taken a last look of the coffin buried down the ground where his lover lies.

With an aching heart, he utters the words that he never would have thought that he would have to say too soon to the one and only woman he has loved and will ever love.

"Goodbye, Kim Yerim. I will always love you. I will always and forever will be in love with you. Rest easy now, my love"

And then he took off with a heavy heart, leaving his one great love in the grave and his heart crashing with every step he takes away from her.