Chapter 17: The Prisoner

BARRISS OFFEE

Barriss was sitting in her high-security prison cell when the two clone guards knocked on the ray-shield.

"What is it," she said in an angry tone.

"Lord Vader wishes to see you," one of the clones said.

"Huh?" she replied.

She had gotten word that the Rebublic had been disbanded, and replaced by a new Galactic Empire. Apparently, the Jedi had tried to assassinate the chancellor, leaving him scarred and deformed. Barriss knew something like this was bound to happen, she was right all along!

But they failed, and the Empire showed what hypocrites the Jedi really were. They were wiped out across the Galaxy, and Barriss was glad that even if she was in prison, the Jedi finally got what they deserved.

But Vader wanted to see her? Barriss had gotten word that he was Palpatine's new second-in-command. 

But what would Vader want with her? Would he kill her, or would he let her out of this kriffing prison?

Either option would be significantly better than her current situation.

Soon enough, a dark silhouette began to approach Barriss, along with the sound of mechanical breathing.

A clone punched the controls to her cell, and the ray-shield turned off.

"Barriss Offee," said Vader, "I offer you a proposal."

"What is it," Barriss said angrily as she struggled to her feet.

"I see your anger has only grown since you were thrown in here," Vader said. "I have come here to tell you that you were right."

"Yeah," she said, "tell me something I don't know."

"The Empire has uses for you, Barriss Offee."

"So you're letting me out of here," said Barriss.

"On one condition," Vader said. "You will swear your loyalty to me and the Emperor."

"Gladly," Barriss said. Being given to serve under the Empire which had exterminated the Jedi was nothing but delightful to her.

"Good," Vader replied. "You will make an excellent follower of the Dark Side. And you will finally be able to get revenge on... an old friend."

"Don't try to be subtle, Lord Vader," she said. "I know who you're talking about. I take it she survived?"

"Not just that," Darth Vader continued as he led Barriss out of the cell. "She infiltrated the temple during our assault and sent out a message."

He pulled out a holo-disc, which promptly began showing an image of Ahsoka. She had clearly undergone some sort of growth spurt, and was wearing an outfit that was only warn by Onderonian royalty.

"This is Ahsoka Tano," she began to speak. "I regret to report that both our Jedi Order and the Republic have fallen. This message is a warning and a reminder for any surviving Jedi: trust in the Force. Do not return to the Temple. That time has passed, and our future is uncertain. Avoid Coruscant. Avoid detection. Be secret... but be strong. We will each be challenged: our trust, our faith, our friendships. But we must persevere and, in time, I believe a new hope will emerge. May the Force be with you always."

The message flickered out.

"Wha-" Barriss stuttered. "Why? Why would she go through all that after what the Jedi did to her?"

"She is annoyingly persistent," Vader said. "She most likely fled to Onderon following her departure. We have two suspects in mind, Lux Bonteri and Saw Gerrera."

"What do you want me to do?"

"Senator Bonteri has... gone missing," Vader said. "But we know precisely where Saw is. Once we have you fully trained, we will send you to Onderon to capture him, and bait out Bonteri, and hopefully Ahsoka along with him. The two are... close, as I know it."

"Well," said Barriss, as they stepped on an elevator. "When does my training begin?"

"After we confront the Emperor, you, and several others, will be trained in the Dark Side to hunt down any remaining Jedi, and you will become an Inquisitor. And from now on, you will be known as First Sister."