Chapter 5: Duchess Eleuthera

There wasn't much information in the game that had talked about the duchess. I had only known she died.

After the few weeks I had been here, I was able to pick up information from books and the people around me, without drawing attention to myself.

She belonged to a Viscount house, the Eleuthera family. Her full name is Ariadne Filia Eleuthera Deianira. A given name given by her parents, Ariadne. A name given by God, Filia, and her family name, Eleuthera. When women get married into a house, they take on the family name of the house they married into, but still keep their original family name if they're from a noble house, as a sign of respect between the two families.

Violet and I have four words in our names despite being not married, because we are children of the duke. Certain noble houses are granted another name by the imperial family, which would be the third word in our names.

The ranks start from the King/Emperor, the Archduke, the Princes, Duke, Marquis, Count or Earl, Viscount, Baron, Baronet, Knights, and then commoners. The church is a grey area in the rankings. At certain times, they can be below a baronet, but at other times, they can be just as powerful as the king. It's all based off how much faith people have in the church, so there's always a sense of balance to everything.

Marquis and up are granted a name from the king himself, almost as a badge of prestige if you could call it that.

Anyway, the duchess was able to catch the attention of the duke and they both actually fell in love with each other quickly, which was slightly unheard of, as arranged marriages or even forceful engagements were not uncommon in noble society, though the latter is looked down upon in social circles.

She was praised as the beautiful and kind duchess, and there isn't a social gathering or tea party she isn't invited to.

It makes sense she was killed off in the game, someone this highly praised would cause many people to be affected, good or bad. It's main purpose is really just a plot device that turns the first gear in the villainess's destruction, the duke's turn towards evil.

This trip is really killing two birds with one stone. Although the risk is high if I fail the mission, I would be saving the duchess and starting my mission of saving the villainess if this succeeds. The best way to stop something is to nip it at the bud if it's possible.

I laugh to myself in my head as I go over my ingenious plan. My concentration returns to reality as the carriage stops in front of the Eleuthera estate.

It seems we've arrived. I have to be prepared for anything. It seems the culprit wants to make this seem like an accident, so there would be no further investigation on the matter.

As we got out of the carriage, the servants helped the duchess and violet off the carriage. I suddenly remember the noble etiquette Orpheus has taught me, about how I'll have to help ladies off a carriage in the future. The correct gestures, posture, angle, everything... at this rate... won't I be brainwashed by that man? I'm not even in class right now! Curse that study maniac... he's infecting me...

As they got off the carriage, the servants started unloading the luggage and the presents, the latter in bigger quantities, and the door to the estate burst open.

There were 4 people that walked out the door.

A woman that seemed to be in her 40s, but her silhouette was... let's just say more like an egg than a usual body. Her hair was a dark red color that matched her eyes. She wore heavy makeup and a flashy dress that was most likely a size too small, and also one that wasn't one a lady of her age would wear. (I'm not shaming, I'm just describing what I see. I'm not gonna sugarcoat a description.)