Chapter 18: A Familiar Feeling

Lately, something has been on my mind recently.

I'm currently practicing my magic like usual with the Duke, and I've already gotten the hang of materializing my shadow. The only main problem is trying to condense it and move it concisely, but luckily Virgil's a natural genius, so it's been progressing smoothly. However, because of that, I began to think about Violet's magic recently.

I think I mentioned I've before. Violet cannot use shadow magic, or actually any other magic. However, she was born with the weird anomaly of being able to use dark magic. Nobody knows about it yet, but I remember reading the info book about the game, that my sister had left lying around my apartment.

She's naturally the villainess of this world, so her setting since she was born was supposed to be an evil one. Her being born with one of the most heretical magic types is a little too on the nose though.

I wouldn't really say having dark magic is a bad thing, but people don't usually obtain it naturally like her.

Most people who aren't demons have to sell their soul or commit an inhuman sacrifice to be able to use dark magic. They don't explain why she can use it either. Even in the info book, it only stated that Violet was born with the power, despite now having any demon blood in her.

I'm already thinking about what to do to help her, since if it was revealed to the church, Violet would be branded as a heretic. However, what I'm worried about the most is actually about this plot hole.

The only reason she has this setting is that she's the villainess. That's how this world works. That's why I'm able to remember and learn things easily, despite never being that studious of a person before. This world is based on a game, and that game has predetermined settings that even I can't change. If Virgil from the game is a genius, then I naturally have the abilities of a genius too.

That's why I'm also scared that the Duchess might just die in another way. Since her setting in the game was supposed to be dead. I'm not sure how much my meddling can change anything. I do know that I can definitely change the personalities of the people around me though. However, I'm not sure if that's the extent of my abilities.

Anyway, the fact that Violet's situation is because of the game, the reason behind this condition doesn't have an answer. Since this world isn't a game anymore, it can't just be brushed off as a 'that's just how the game works.' A game will have many plot holes or continuity errors, and if it's transferred into a real-world scenario, those plot holes will have to be filled. That's my main worry. It was never explained why Violet had this condition, and I don't know why now.

Information is key to my battle ahead, once the game starts. However, the more I interfere, the less information I will have.

What if something even worse than I could handle was the reason behind Violet's condition? Not to mention hiding it from the public, I would have to figure out that, as well as prepare for the road ahead during the game. Not to mention the war that'll happen, since unlike the game, there aren't time skips and I'll have to live through it myself and—

"Virgil. Are you paying attention?"

"Wha—!"

I suddenly snapped back to reality with the Duke getting my attention. However, I was so surprised that my magic went out of control and flew in front of me to him! Quickly, I tried to redirect it, as I knew I couldn't stop it in time, but it curved at an angle that cleanly shaved off the Duke's facial hair!

"..."

"..."

There was a long silence, and I couldn't see what the Duke's reaction was.