Chapter 13: Understood

A year has passed since the incident with the Duchess's family had been resolved.

Just a few weeks ago, I had turned 7, and there was a large celebration for it. It was super embarrassing, but luckily, everything seemed to turn out alright.

Even though it was a birthday celebration for me, it was also a chance to expand my network while also showing off my capabilities as the heir of the household.

Knowing that everyone's attention was on me, some maliciously waiting for me to mess up, it was extremely... stressful. I hadn't had that bad of a stomachache for a while.

However, it wasn't like I could eat even if I did have an appetite. Even though there was food on the table, most people were too busy talking to touch the food. Though some people did partake in it, most nobles didn't as they conversed with each other and gossiped more. If they were late to any conversation, who knows what'll happen to their image.

Either way, I was luckily able to proceed with the proper etiquette needed despite only having a year's worth of lessons. Even though I hate you Orpheus, I do have to thank you for brainwashing me with all the correct methods of greeting...

Everything proceeded well, and I was extremely tired by the time it ended. However, I was pulled away by the duchess before I could head back to my room and take a rest. She covered my eyes with her hands as I was walked to a room... which startled me.

"Duchess Deianira, where am I being taken?"

"What did I tell you about calling me the Duchess!"

The Duchess sighed as we stopped.

"Sometimes I feel like you never act your age... I was so excited to have a son I could spoil, but you've never once called me mother or acted like a child..."

...

Yeah, I'm never gonna call you that or act like a child. Sorry. I still have some dignity left in me.

"Anyways, even though everybody has said happy birthday to you, we haven't yet! That's so unfair!"

She uncovered her hands and I saw the Duke, Violet, and a couple of close servants all in one room, with a cake that was modest, and unlike the extravagant towering one at the banquet, at the center of a table.

"Happy Birthday!"

All at once, everybody said happy birthday, as I stood there dumbfounded. I was extremely surprised even if my face didn't show it and I stood still for a few seconds before I walked into the room with the Duchess.

"Wha..."

The Duchess, who could somehow tell what I was feeling and what I was about to say, patted my head and spoke up.

"This is the first birthday of yours that we're going to share as a family, I wanted something close, something we'll be able to remember. Not only is it the day you were born, but it's also the day we met you."

Her gentle smile exuded kindness as she looked at me. I didn't know what to say, as I looked around the room, my gaze landing on the duke last. We made eye contact for like a second, but I didn't really know what to make of him, since we don't really talk much.

I'm pretty close with everyone else, but the conversations I've had with the duke were more like daily reports about my day and how I'm doing in my studies. Noticing me staring, the Duke cleared his throat, his face as stern and villainous as ever.

"You've been proficient in your studies, and kept with my expectations. Keep it up and make sure not to bring shame to the Deianira name."

"Yes, sir."