Chapter 17: This is Why I Love You

The crown prince formally left the next day.

His eyes were red from wiping his tears away, trying to hide that he cried. Violet beside me also seemed to share the same sentiments as she teared up. I too felt a little bittersweet that he was officially leaving.

It was only a few days, but it was still like having a puppy— I mean little brother around.

However, my thoughts didn't show on my face as my face muscles disappoint me once again.

He approached the carriage with a red face, I didn't expect him to take it this hard, so I reassured him that he's always free to visit again. However, strangely, he wouldn't make eye contact with me...

Why are you like this...

I'm honestly hurt. I mean, who wouldn't if their puppy suddenly acted coldly towards you?

However, my worries were washed away as he put on a smile as he said goodbye. I could already visualize puppy ears and a tail on him wagging fast.

Hnngg!

I'll forgive you for what you did earlier, that was actually adorable. I clenched my heart in my head. Even I can't help it when seeing something adorable, don't judge me!

I patted him on the head as he went into the carriage and it drove off.

Thus, everything returned to normal in the Deianira estate.

...

Just like I had predicted, the engagement between the prince and Violet went through, much to Violet's delight.

It wasn't like how it was in the original game where she was the one that begged for the engagement. I had already taught her about the country's conflicts, and even she knew what was acceptable and what isn't. She knew that it would only look bad on her and the family had she tried to pressure for it.

I didn't tell Violet about the special circumstances involving the royal family and our family, since she didn't need to know that right now. I did reassure her that she'll probably end up engaged to him anyway since she looked extremely depressed before the news came in. She didn't understand why, so I had to say some stuff about how it's highly likely since the crown prince had visited our house. It seems she bought it and became more cheerful.

I wasn't technically lying, but I had another reason why I knew the engagement would go through.

There had been two factions that have emerged due to the issue with the crown prince and the king. The nobles that were in favor of the king and the royal consort were known as the True Imperial faction, while the nobles that followed the Queen and the crown prince were known as the Regulus faction. Some nobles have taken a stance of neutrality, one of which is the Deianira family at first glance. However, they're directly under the king, so they are basically under the True Imperial faction.

Having the Crown Prince get engaged to Violet is almost like attaching a leash onto him, as it made it impossible for him to build a partnership with a family from an opposing faction. If he were engaged to someone out of the emperor's control, he would be able to gain more power and followers. It also strengthened the standing of the Deianira family, who was an unspoken member of his faction. The engagement was essentially killing two birds with one stone.

This was why the engagement was allowed.

Even though it was hidden as the whims of a spoiled and lovestruck girl, the engagement was probably already discussed before she had asked for it. However, because of the way she had acted, it had caused bad rumors about her to circulate to high societies. The people that were wise and good avoided her, and the people who approached her were only trying to suck up to her for their own gain. This caused her actions to never be put into check until what happens in the game occurs.