Chapter 15: Earnest People are the Worst

Hahh...

Had I known this would be the result, I would've never agreed to that bet.

I looked over at the blonde-haired boy next to me, who was still in disbelief at what happened. He looked like he couldn't accept it yet and had a pout on his face. Despite being annoying, he was pretty cute, cause what else would you expect from a capture target.

Seeing as I probably won't get anywhere with this, I decided to just go back to reading the book I was reading before.

However, he sat next to me, just looking around.

...

I would love to just ignore his presence next to me, and continue finding out what's the best way to cook the fellum fruit, but I couldn't ignore him sadly. Mostly from the fact that my social anxiety doesn't feel comfortable just knowing he's sitting next to me with nothing to do and looking like a dejected puppy because of it, but also cause this book is still boring as heck!

I decide to stop flipping pages and glanced over at him, who was just staring at me now. He noticed that I was giving him my attention and he perked up like a puppy, which was pretty funny in my opinion.

"um... what should we do to show him that we're getting along?"

"We don't really have to."

We really didn't. They couldn't keep us here forever, and we could also just fake getting along. There's no reason for us to actually get along, other than that bet, which was technically not a written contract so we have no obligation to follow through.

However, it seems that my answer was not enough for him, as he put on a serious look.

"I lost this bet, so even if I don't like you, I still have to follow through on the promise! Even if I dislike it, I'm still going to try my best to do it, since doing something half-heartedly isn't good!"

Uwah~

When did you turn into a hard-working type of person?

Also, you're not even gonna hide the fact that you don't like me now, huh.

I have the most trouble with people who are the earnest type, to be honest. I never expected him to be that type when he was young, which would be endearing if I hadn't already filed his voice and appearance under the "I hate this person" file in my brain, due to what happened in my past life.

Either way, I guess I'm never going to get anywhere if I keep delaying finding out the reason why he doesn't like me. Not to mention, it would be a good idea to be friendly with the capture targets, since they're all pretty powerful in their own right. It wouldn't be a good idea to be against them.

I took a sigh before closing my book.

"May I ask why your highness is so hostile towards me?"

He looked at me with surprise at the question for some reason, before looking away and mumbling under his breath. I couldn't hear him well, so I asked him to clarify himself, but he just looked embarrassed instead.

He was blushing as he spoke up again about why he didn't like me.

"I... I always hear about you from Orpheus... and it's annoying hearing you praised all the time..."

I froze for a second.

...

That bastard Orpheus...

Why are you always making me extra work!

Despite Orpheus being my teacher, he also teaches other children, as he's one of the smartest people in the empire. It would only make sense that he isn't just teaching me, but I never expected that he would be talking about me during someone else's lesson though.