Making A Plan - Ch. 11

Newt's POV: We all gather into one of the still standing tents after Thomas's speech. "How are going to know where they are? I mean, they could be back at the compound where Janson got us for all we know!" Fry reasons. "I know Fry but we have to try. We can't just leave Minho, Aris and Sonya. We have to get them back, then we can make it to the Safe Haven." Thomas responds. "I might know where they're going..." Jorge interrupts. "What do you mean? How?" Brenda asks him. "I used to work for WCKD." He reveals. "Why didn't you tell us this? Even Brenda doesn't know about this?" I say to him.

"I know. When they didn't take Brenda but, took her brother George, I abandoned my job and took her with me to Crank City. There, I built my empire. I used one of WCKD's surgery rooms to erase her memory of me before we left. She didn't wake up until we got to the city. I never want to be associated to such place, armano." Jorge responded. "I respect that. Just tell us where we can find them." Vince said. "We used to have runaways all the time so we would take them to multiple compounds where they would be moved around by train. Since they move around a lot, it would be hard to a specific person. We could hack into the log sheet in compound 5H. New runaways will be transported to what some call 'The Last City' but I've never seen it. In the next two days, they should be transferred to 5H so they can start the testing. What we need to know is which train all of them will be on." Jorge explains. "How do you suppose we carry an entire car of kids on a high speed train without anyone noticing something's wrong?" Vince asks. "If we create a scene while getting the car, they'll probably send in back-up which would be flown in by a Burg. I could hijack it and pick up the car once we unhinge it from the train." Harriet points out. "Great, we can attack the train but, how will we know where Sonya, Aris and Minho are?" I ask him. "We just have to hope for the best that they're on the same car." Jorge says.

"And if they aren't?" Thomas chimes in. "There's no way of checking where they are while in a battlefield, armano. We just have to hope for the best. We can find where they're going to be when we find their subject names and nicknames." Jorge explains. "I guess we have a plan but we're going to need to unhook the part of the train where the cart of kids and the cart of inventory meet. We also need to find a way to break away the metal plates that hold the cart to the train." Vince explains. "I can whip up something that could melt the plates away and a bomb that could blow the handles that connect the cars." Miyoko reveals. "When did you learn to make bloody explosives?!" I ask her. I thought she was a runner? Minho can't even build a box of wood!

"I taught myself a few things when we arrived at the Right Arm. You can help if your so curious." She offers. I nod my head so I can find out how the hell she learned that so quick. "Me and Brenda will try and fix up some of the Jeeps outside so we don't have travel by foot. We'll help make a distraction at the front of the train." Jorge says. "The other survivors and I will be burying the lost ones and continue patching up the ship for the departure to the Safe Haven." Vince assures. "Well, let's get on with it then, yeah?" I say and we disperse. I put my hand in my pocket and grab on to the paper I feel inside. "Newt?" I hear Miyoko say behind me.

She catches up to me so she can talk to me face to face. "I know that you haven't slept since last night. You were on lookout. I think you should get some rest." She says. "I don't know what you're saying. I slept like a -" She cut me off before I could finish. "Stop doing this. We all want Sonya back as much as you do but, you can't keep doing this to yourself! People may not see how broken you are but Minho told me what happened! If you spend your well-being on the safety of others, your going to kill yourself!" She shouts. "So what if I do, Miyoko? Huh? I already tried once and I failed. Why not die trying to save my friends' life? I owe Minho my life and if I have to die for him, I will!" I shout back. I try to walk off but she grabs my arm. "Neither Minho nor Sonya would want you to be like this for them." She pointed out in a low voice.

"That's the point. I would do anything for them. They won't even have to say a bloody thing." I say back. I pull my arm back and walk off to the others. "Hey, what was that all about?" Thomas asks me. "Nothing." I say gruffly. Thomas looks and Harriet and nods. She makes her way to where Miyoko ran off. "Where's Fry?" I ask sternly.

I wasn't in the mood to put up my front. "Um, cooking up some lunch? What's your deal, Newt?" He asks. "It's nothing, Tommy. See you later." I walk to where Fry is and try to help around. This time putting up a front. A few minutes pass by and she has her arm around Miyoko as she talks to her.

Maybe I was a little harsh. She was just trying to help. "NEWT!" Frypan screams as I touch a hot pan. "AHH! BLOODY HELL!" I shout. My finger is so red and it hurts like a greiver stung it! "Why don't you go recover and then you can come eat later? Alright, man?" Frypan suggests. "Yeah, thanks Fry." I thank him as I walk off to my, now, one person tent.

I lay down and I pass out.

An hour later

I wake up to Thomas trying to shake me awake. "Dang, you were passed out. Haha." He says as takes a chair and sits down on it, clearly exhausted. "Hey Tommy, what's the ruckus about?" I ask him. "Oh so you're deciding to be nice now?" He says sarcastically. "Yeah, about that I'm really sorry-" He put out a finger to cut me off. "It's fine, Newt. Maybe you were just a little cranky." He assured. I smiled and we went out of the tent to get lunch.