xcix. confronting cedric

"It's dangerous!"

"It's dangerous!"

"You're friends with the Weasley Twins, isn't nearly everything they do dangerous?"

"Not life or death like dangerous!"

Tori was bickering back and forth with Cedric Diggory during her free period. "I'm going to Herbology." Cedric said, "Can we talk about this later?"

"What? So you have time to decide to enter? Cedric Diggory — don't walk away from me!"

Cedric sighed, laughing as he turned to face her. "Tori, you're telling me, if you had the chance, you wouldn't enter?" That stumped Tori, because she knew for a fact she would if she had been allowed too.

"That's... that's not the point! Don't laugh at me! But because I can't, I've researched this stuff! Fred and George can't enter, Dumbledore's not stupid! But you can! Cedric — people have died!"

"Tori, the chance of I even getting pick is slim! Loads of people are putting their name in, so why can't I just get the chance? Plus, my dad would be pretty proud—"

"You could write an essay and make your dad proud, Ced! You could get seriously hurt! There have been all sort of tasks, like vampires—"

Cedric shuddered. "I hate vampires." He muttered, continuing on his path to Herbology. "Look, Tori. I'm entering, okay? You can't stop me."

"I'll stop talking to you."

"No, you won't."

"Damn it."

"I'm going to be late for class, goodbye Tori."

✧    ✦    ✧

After being swamped with her N.E.W.T. classes, Tori was still expected to help the twins and Lee make their potion. She knew this wasn't going to work, but she also knew she'd never hear the end of it if she didn't help them. It was honestly a lose-lose.

To protect it, the boys kept the potion hidden under the fourth unused bed in their dormitory. Tori had told them it was a bad idea but the three of them decided to stop listening to her. According to them, everything she said was just trying to scare them out of entering or trying to get the twins to cut their hair.

"It's grown so long..." Tori sighed, hiding her face in her Muggle Studies book. "You know deep down you like it."

"You can mop the floor with it," Tori replied, not looking up from her book.

When they arrived in the Entrance Hall the next morning, they found themselves unable to proceed owing to the large crowd of students congregated there, all milling around a large sign which had been erected at the foot of the marble staircase.

Fred, the tallest of the three, stood on tiptoe to see over the heads in front of them and read the sign aloud to the other two.