Charity (Jason Todd)

Warnings: She/Her Pronouns, Violence, Swearing, Mentions of Blood

Song Recommendation: Dancing with Flames by: Succession Studios

It's 7:52 pm, and I'm just about finished with packing all the weapons and tools I need for my new mission. Adrenaline and nausea suddenly overtake my body at the thought of it, but I won't let that stop me.

Earlier today Bruce had briefed the boys and I on my mission. There was to be a charity event at the town hall of Gotham. An event to raise money for all of Gotham's local orphanages. So, Bruce needed the boys, including Damian, to make an appearance. As for me, he had something else in mind.

Bruce had gotten word from Oracle that a local gang was planning to ambush the event. Bruce said he would increase the amount of security, but also said that he would like me to watch over the party as Black-Bird. I've been on multiple missions with Bruce and the boys, so I was willing and ready to help. However Jason was less than enthused by the matter.

See, Bruce and the boys would have to appear as normal people, and wouldn't be able to run away to change into their suits because of all the publicity this event was having. News stations, reporters, journalists, politicians, and a slew of other powerful people were going to be attending the event, so it was imperative that Bruce be careful to not reveal his identity as Batman.

Jason was upset because I would have to fight alone.

"You don't expect me to just watch her fight alone, do you?" Jason had asked Bruce.

"We can't take the chance of accidentally revealing ourselves. There will be cameras everywhere, and what happens if one of them sees you putting on a mask? (F/N) is more than capable of handling the situation." Bruce spoke sternly, "We'll have our suits ready for us in a special location should we deem it necessary and okay, but I do not think it will come to that."

I had tried to tell Jason that I would be fine, and that it was my choice but he wouldn't listen.

"This's what he does (F/N). He makes you feel like his way is the only way." Jason said, "I just don't want something to go wrong, and you end up getting hurt."

"Don't worry Jason. I'll be fine. They're just some lowlife gang members." I said as Jason placed a hand on my right cheek. I held it against my face, and nuzzled into it.

"Alright, but I'll have my helmet near me, and a gun concealed in my dress pants." Jason said and then gave me a kiss on the lips.

"Sure thing, you stinker." I smiled.

That all happened earlier today, and by now Bruce has already left for Gotham's town hall with the boys. I felt nervous because I knew that they would probably not be able to help at all like Bruce had mentioned, and Jason had hoped. We'd done stuff like this before, but usually Dick would dress in Bruce's suit so that we could see Bruce and Batman in the same room at the same time. I bit at my gloved thumb to ease my nerves, but then quickly finished my preparation. I had everything I needed, and I was ready to leave.

I hopped on Jason's motorcycle, and revved the engine. I sped away and through the cave out into the open. I felt the wind glide past my leather suit, and I took a deep breath of musky Gotham night air. I zoomed past the many street lights, and night scenes. Angry taxi drivers honking left and right while I glanced back and forth at the small GPS screen Jason had on his motorcycle.

"This is it." I said to myself, and drove past the town hall. There were bright lights, and music poured out of the open doors. I saw various different couples in beautiful dresses and finely pressed suits walking up the marble steps. Instead of giving Jason's motorcycle to the valet I opted to park it in an alleyway about a block away. I put the bike in locked position, and activated the automated anti-theft system that Bruce had installed after the sixth time it got stolen.