C H A P T E R 0 1 | T R A N S L A T E D |

T H E first rays of the sun, the kiran [first ray of light], flew into the room from the slightly pulled apart curtains

T H E first rays of the sun, the kiran [first ray of light], flew into the room from the slightly pulled apart curtains. They shabby, worn out purple cloth hanging floor to ceiling was a star contrast to the white chipping walls of the bedroom. Adjacent to the window was a small wooden bed with legs hanging on hooks, a mattress -it would be a joke to call it one- that was tattered peice of foam so worn down that it had been reduced into a thin layer of an icthy and rough piece of cloth. The small wooden door had a fading polish on it. Clearly showing the age that the door had been in use for. In the small room, there was a small circular table, on which a jai namaz [prayer mat], rested. The tassels of the green prayer mat hung off of the table and acted as a cushion to a light green tasbih [rosary beads].

The light rays scattered on the back of the young lady who was laying on the mattress. The consistent digging of the foam and peeking rays that played hide and seek with her, woke Hoor up. Her natural body clock was used to waking up at the time of Fajar [first prayer of the day]. She stretched her body raising her delicate wrists. Her pink soles touched the ground as she yawned out loud. Piling her black silky tresses into a bun, she went to the small bathroom on the rooftop to perform ablution. The concrete stairs were chilled by the chilly October morning. The sunlight reflected on her wheat-ish skin tone. Giving her a golden halo. The rusted metal bathroom door rattled as it was opened. Hoor stepped inside the tiny bathroom that had only a small sink and a tiny mirror. Followed by a white commode and a faucet surrounded by a tub for taking showers. She rushed to make her wudu [ablution] before going into her tiny bedroom. Spreading out her prayer mat, she stood and aligned her feet. Her hands were raised as she made her niyat [intention].

"Ya Allah meray maa baap ki parishaniyan sab khatam karde. Tujh sai behtar meray dil ki halat koi nahi janta. Meray andar ki bebasi ko khatam karde. Meri rooh ko sukoon de. Meri dil ki har dua qabool kar. Allah mujhe meray maa baap ke liye kabhi bhoj na bannay dein-"
[Oh Allah end the problems of my parents. You are the one who knows what goes on in my heart. Give my soul peace. Accept all my prayers. Oh Allah, never make me a burden on my parents]
her melodious voice sobbed as she bowed her head infront of her Lord. Letting her heart be completely vulnerable.

Wiping her tears away, Hoor stood up and pulled the curtains away. The light poured into her room and lit it up. Heading to a worn out chest of drawers. Pulling one of those open, she took out her outfit of the day. Deciding on a pink cotton shirt with a golden lace on the neck line, she paired it with white trousers and a blush pink net dupatta. Her hair pulled back into a ponytail.