Chapter 12 : Memories

Hanako was sitting down next to Itachi who was peacefully sleeping on the bed. She was reading a book on the different types of Kekkei Genkai and their weaknesses. Trying to find that one Kekkei Genkai she wanted to know about.

She was halfway reading the book when the door to the house slammed open and shut. She continues to read knowing who it was and the sound of rushing footsteps.

“Hanako!” Eiji smiled running towards her holding what looked like a present.

She didn’t look at him or payed any attention to his call. He called her again and again and again until Itachi woke up from all the sound.

He looks at Eiji who was trying to get Hanako attention but she wasn’t interested at all. He looks at the gift in Eiji's hands then to his face. He was smiling at Hanako.

Itachi look to his left to see Kichiro reading a book on the other bed while leaning against the wall. He  then looked back at Hanako. Who was reading her book while listening to Eiji trying to get her attention. He watched the 2 for abit. He knew that Eiji had liked her but not this much already.

“What do you have there in your hand?” Itachi asked the young boy.

Eiji looks at Itachi and gives him the present reluctantly. Eiji wanted Hanako to be the second person to touch it besides the lady at the store who kindly wrapped it for him when she had asked him why he bought such a gift for a girl.

“I got Hanako a present. Hanako, will you please open it.” Eiji smiled.

Itachi looks at the smiling boy then at the gift. It was wrapped in plain blue paper with a dark blue string around it. The box was rectangle and it was light. Itachi looks at Hanako.

“Hanko, Eiji bought you a gift. Do you want to open it now?” Itachi asked kindly to Hanako next to him.

She closes the book she was reading and looks at Itachi. She then shifts her look to the rectangle present then to Eiji who was staring at her in anticipation. She opened her book and shakes her head.

“Eiji. Hanako doesn’t want to open it right now. Maybe later. I'll just put it here for her.” Itachi said leaving the gift by the other side of Hanako.

Eiji looked a bit sadden that Hanako didn’t want to open his gift but nods before walking to sit next to his brother on their bed.

Later on in the day…

When everyone was sound asleep, Hanako got up from Itachi’s bed and picked up the gift. She went outside taking it with her. She sits down on the soft grass under the moon light. She felt the wind moving around her.

She unties the string letting it drop down and unwraps the paper. She then opens the lid to the box carefully and saw that there was a brown rectangle book inside with a pencil. She lifts the book and pencil out of the box to see a note. She grabs the note.

‘I really hope you like it. Now you can talk to me and Kichiro with this book or draw on it. What ever makes you happy!’ The note said.

Hanako's grip on the paper tightens causing the paper to tear a bit.

She quickly takes it and puts it in the back of the book. She closes the book and puts the pencil on the string attached to the book. She puts it back into the box and brings the box back inside. She puts it where it was before.

She crawls under the covers and lays down next to Itachi who was still awake and watching. Hanako knew that but she wasn’t in the mood to talk or confront him. Even though he probably knew that I knew but kept quiet.