Chapter 5: She's not back?

(Adora)

    Adora walked out of the bathroom, draped in her white bathrobe and noticed Catra was fast asleep in her bed. She looked absolutely at peace and Adora wasn't about to ruin that by force the poor girl onto the couch. The blond decided to change into shorts and a white tank top before lying down on the couch herself. She looked over the feline that resided in her bed and noticed the little hitch in Catra's breath while she slept. To Adora, this was the most adorable thing she could have ever seen, the Neko had curled up in Adora's blankets and cuddled up to one of the extra pillows on the bed. The taller girl found herself staring at her foster sister for a long time, she carefully looked over Catra's facial features while she smiled to herself. Adora was tall for a girl, and this couch was more like a loveseat so she felt cramped. She contemplated getting into her bed next to Catra, but it was only a twin size and she would literally have to cuddle with the girl in order to fit. As she thought, she felt her chest tighten up when the image of her snuggling up to Catra's back surfaced in her mind. She shook her head out and closed her eyes, struggling to get comfortable and finally managing to get to sleep.

    When Adora woke up, Catra wasn't in the room anymore. She also noticed she had forgotten to set an alarm for school and completely panicked before realizing it was a saturday. She pulled out her phone to see a missed call from Glimmer along with several texts in their group chat with Bow.

(Best Friends Squad)

ADORA WHERE ARE YOU. (Glimmer)

We're gonna be late to the movie! (Bow)

ADORAAAAAA (Glimmer)

WAKE UP (Glimmer)

7 missed calls (Glimmer)

"Ohh no." Adora sighed before rolling off of the couch and hurriedly sliding herself into a pair of jeans before putting on a white tee and throwing a blue hoodie zip up hoodie over everything. She only zipped it halfway up and put her hair in a crude ponytail before rushing out the door to her jeep.

    She was already late and the new Marvel movie had probably already started. For the first time in a while, Adora caught herself speeding.

    "Catra would get a kick out of this" She whispered as she looked down at her speedometer. Ten miles over wasn't too bad, but for Adora, breaking any rules was kinda taboo. She drove up to the movie theater and saw Bow's dad's minivan parked in the lot. Adora pulled her jeep over next to the Bowmobile and parked. She shuffled quickly into the movie theater and bought her ticket. When she made her way into the assigned theater, she was barely able to spot Bow and Glimmer who were seated in the third row. She made her way down the aisle just as the Marvel logo appeared on screen.

    "Just in time" She whispered to Glimmer as she sat down next to her pink haired friend.

    "You're late," Glimmer said with a smile as she leaned in next to her best friend.

"Only if I wanted to miss all of the lame previews" The blond girl giggled and Bow leaned over Glimmer with his finger against his lips.

"Shhhhhh the intro is the best part!" He whispered way louder than Glimmer or Adora had. 

The best friends squad remained quiet for most of the movie, it was crazy seeing Captain Marvel doing all of those crazy things on screen. Adora was envious of her, she wished she was some superhero that could call upon incredible powers and save people. These were just movies after all, but she still loved the thought of super heroes.

"That was totally awesome!" Glimmer yelled out as the trio headed out of the movie theater and into the parking lot.

"Guys, Guys, if we were all Avengers, who would we be?" Bow asked, as he leaned up onto his father's minivan.

"Hmmmmm. I think you'd be Hawkeye..." Adora mumbled.

"Hawkeye?? Really? The guy with the bow? Ohh I see what you did there!" The darker boy spoke, shaking his head at Adora's terrible joke.

"Just because my name is Bow, doesn't make me an Archer." He shrugged as Glimmer slid the van door open. 

"All I know is, Adora would totally be Captain Marvel. She's just as badass." The pink haired girl said looking up at her much taller blond friend. Adora had the biggest grin on her face, because that's the only person she'd wanted to be compared to.

"You think so?" Adora said, still smiling like an idiot.

"Absolutely, you even look like her." Bow said before getting into the van.

"Are we going back to your place to sleep over like we'd planned?" Glimmer said as she got into the Van as well. Adora had completely forgotten their sleepover plans.

"Uhhhh Yeah! Of course! Duh!" The taller girl said, hopping up into her jeep.

"We'll follow you then." Bow said, waving to Adora as she pulled out of the parking spot.

Adora was slightly panicking while driving home, this was the first time her friends would really meet Catra. Adora had obviously told them her foster sister existed but she spared a lot of the details. Specifically the ones about Catra being an absolute delinquent. Adora and her friends were definitely honor roll students. They had done a few little rebellious things here and there, like how Glimmer constantly argues with her mother, but that's it. The blond girl wondered if her friends would get along with Catra, and the more she thought about it, the more she was worried.

Finally they pulled up to Adora's house and parked out front. The taller girl watched as her friends got out of the Van and started making their way over to her. Adora took a deep breath and got out of the jeep.

"Soooooo. One thing before we go inside.." She nervously said while rubbing the back of her neck.

"Is everything okay Adora?" Glimmer chimed in, worried about her friend who was suddenly acting weird.

"It's just, my foster sister is a little... uhhh.. Abrasive. So try not to take anything mean she says to heart. Okay?" Adora finished speaking while gritting her teeth.

Her two friends glanced at each other, then back to Adora. Bow looked more puzzled when he spoke.

"She can't be that bad right?"

"Well..... I think she's just misunderstood sometimes. Come on in, you'll see what I mean." Adora responded as she opened the front door.

The trio walked into a quiet house, there was no indication that anyone else was home.

"Huh, maybe she's not back yet?" Adora said as she guided her friends up to her bedroom. The blond girl had forgotten that all of the clothes she'd given to Catra sat in a pile next to the couch in her room. The pillow and sheet were still resting on the couch as well, showing Catra's still not perfect living conditions. The more Adora thought about it, the more she wanted to ask her mother about getting Catra a real bed to sleep in.

"She stays in your room?" Glimmer said surprised as she walked over to the couchbed that was basically everything Catra owned. 

"Yeah, we don't have a spare bedroom or anything so she sleeps with me." Adora thought about her sentence and felt her face heat up red. Her thoughts about wanting to cuddle with Catra last night came to surface in her mind.

"Not like... sleep with me... like, she sleeps on the couch, I sleep in the bed!" Adora nervously giggled out as she tried to avoid eye contact with her friends who were now smiling awkwardly.

"Adora, nobody would have thought about it like that, I mean, she's your foster sister after all." Bow's words made Adora's chest tighten up and she felt terrible.

"Yeah, you're right." The blond girl spoke a little defeated.

"Anyway, what do you guys want to do? Start some sleepover games!?!" Glimmer yelled out as she jumped face first into Adora's bed.

The Trio talked for a couple hours, playing silly games like "Never have I ever" or "Truth or Dare" which was basically only truth, because the three of them didn't really ever choose Dare. Eventually it was getting really late and Catra still hadn't come home. Adora was getting really worried, but she figured the feline could take care of herself and would be walking in here any minute. The best friends squad set up for bed, Glimmer slept back to back with Adora in the taller girls bed, and Bow had fallen asleep on Catra's makeshift couchbed.