1

"Jaeminnie!" Jaemin's mother squealed in excitement as her son came down the stairs. "It's your first day of senior year! Gosh, my baby is all grown up!"

Jaemin rolled his glassy eyes and put a hand on his mother's shoulder, steadying himself. "Mom, relax."

She wiped a tear from her eye and hugged her son, very tall compared to her. "Oh baby. I love you so much." She looked up into to his unseeing eyes and more tears fell. "Sweetie, I'm so sorry. For everything."

"Mom! For the millionth time, it's not your fault." Jaemin whined. "You had no control of this. Plus," he walked over to the kitchen counter and took an apple from the fruit basket. "I can handle myself." He took a bite of the apple, slightly clumsily but still better than most who couldn't see. 

Jaemin was always good at looking out for himself. Even if he couldn't actually look...Like other blind people, he didn't need a service animal or even a walking stick. Jaemin didn't wear sunglasses or anything to cover his cloudy eyes; he believed they gave him character. 

"Oh Jaemin-" his mother opened the front door for him and handed him his backpack. "Please be careful! If you need anything-"

"Ask Chenle!" Jaemin grabbed his bag and hopped down the stone steps to his house with ease. "I know mom. Goodbye!" He waved in the general direction of his home and turned to the left to walk to school. 

"My first day of senior year." Jaemin smiled to himself. "I'm really almost finished with this Hell hole!" 

Jaemin crossed the street, without asking for help from one of his other classmates that were walking to school. He trusted himself enough to hear when the cars stopped and when the other people started walking.

"NA JAEMIN!" A high pitched screech was heard as the students rushed into the school building.  

Jaemin grinned, knowing exactly who it was. "ZHONG CHENLE!" He cupped his hands around his mouth and yelled back.

Jaemin dropped his hands and listening intently for the sound of his best friend Chenle's little feet pounding against the cool pavement. When he heard them he began walking towards the school. Chenle would catch up to him. 

"Hey! Hey, how was your summer?" Chenle asked when he did catch up with Jaemin.

Jaemin turned his head so that he was talking to Chenle, even if he couldn't actually see him. "Well I spent almost 96.34% with you sir!" The two boys laughed loudly, not caring what anyone  around them thought. I mean, the other students already looked down on them.

Chenle has a panic disorder. Because of this, he often had panic attacks, whenever and wherever he felt scared or stressed. He was known for having them at school but Jaemin had been helping him to breath and relax when he felt one coming on. 

Jaemin was of course blind. This made him victim to lots of bullying and tormenting. Luckily, by being friends with Chenle, he was somewhat more protected than if he was by himself which he was for most of middle school before he met his friend.

The two boys protected each other. 

They had got to their lockers, the same as last year. Jaemin reaches around for his lock and redid the code a couple of times before he actually got it right. Chenle, though not blind, still had more trouble than Jaemin did. 

"Ugh, Chenle what's your combo?"

"Umm, I forgot!" Chenle bit his lip and shrugged. 

Jaemin face palmed himself and sighed. "At least it's the first day, yeah? You have what you need in your backpack right?"