22

"How about this one? This one? No no no, this one?"

"Chenle I can't fucking see any of the suits you're showing me." Jaemin burst as Chenle held up three suits as options for the school dance. The two were in Macy's Department Store trying to purchase outfits for the dance but failing miserably.

"Oh right." Chenle pouted. "Well I like this one. It's sleek, cute, and it's purple."

Jaemin took a deep breath and took a sip of his soda. "You're really buying a purple tux?"

Chenle cocked his head to the side. "Why not?"

"I don't know, is it bright purple? Or a bit subdued?"

Chenle glanced at the practically neon purple suit in his arms and smirked, knowing what answer Jaemin wanted to hear. "It's subdued."

"Okay." Jaemin responded, buying the lie. "Get it then." 

Chenle grinned cheekily, almost immediately wiping that grin off his face and turning back to the racks of suits. "But what about you? You actually have a date so you must look stunning! So do you want gray or black? Like a navy or purple matching mine? A pattern or just regular-"

"Chenle! Stop!" Jaemin burst, grabbing his friend by the sleeve, the blonde meeting his cloudy sightless eyes. "I want the most stereotypical suit you can find. Black, sleek, classy. So I can match with Jeno. He'll probably do something normal so I want to as well. Got it? Thank you."

The younger nodded, averting his gaze back to the racks and racks of party outfits. "Oh Nana. We have a long day of shopping ahead."

☁️☁️☁️

The student council was tasked with setting up the decorations and hiring a DJ as well as caterers for the prom. You could say the teachers were absolutely no help whatsoever.

Jeno knew Renjun had been stressing over making the prom perfect for his peers so the raven haired basketball player offered his help set up the gym and turn it from an old smelly hell to a beautiful spring garden . The younger was heading over to the gym after his extra tutoring sessions with his math teacher to assist the council. He was tall, he could put up decorations.

When Jeno pushed the gym doors open he saw about fifteen seniors moving tables, blowing up balloons, and balancing on stools to hang up streamers and fake flowers. His eyes moved around quickly until he spotted his brunette friend banging a fan, trying to start it up. Another boy Jeno found familiar but couldn't place his name was helping him.

"Hey Jun!"  He called out, jogging over to them, waving.

Renjun looked up from the fan, pushing up his glasses which had begun to slip down his tiny nose. "Oh hey Jeno. Thanks so much for coming! I was panicking, there's no way we'll get this entire thing set up by tonight." Renjun turned to the other boy and motioned for him to greet Jeno. The other laughed and waved.

"Hi I'm Yangyang. I've heard lots about you."

"Oh really?" Jeno fist bumped the boy, curious about what he'd  heard.

"Oh yeah, Renjun tells the best stories. He's really good in bed."

An awkward pause hovered between the three until Yangyang finally realized his terrible choice of wording. 

"I mean-" he clarified, Renjun blushing furiously in the corner. "He will tell me stories while we sit on my bed, in my room, chatting. Nothing more, nothing less." Yangyang crossed his legs, uncomfortably. "Oh hey look, Wendy needs help putting up daisies, I gotta go. Bye!" And with the that he scurried away.

Jeno let out a hearty chuckle. Renjun cracked a weak smile, still embarrassed by Yangyang's hilarious fopar. "I sincerely apologize for him, he's delusional."

"No I understand." Jeno smiled raising his eyebrows teasingly, the old song from elementary school every kid knows coming back to his mind. "Renjun and Yangyang sittin' in a tree~"

"Shut up!" The elder slapped Jeno's shoulder and crossed his arms. "We are not! We're just friends."

"Ah," Jeno nodded. "Said the couple getting married two years later."

"Jeno I hate you!" Renjun shrieked as he pummeled the much stronger boy, Jeno laughing his head off. After Renjun was done punching Jeno's arm the two got to work. They did only have four hours until prom after all.

Renjun directed the rest of the student council (and Jeno) on what needed to get done. The DJ hadn't arrived yet but the food had. They goal was to decorate the gym and put all the food out last so it wouldn't get all gross.

Everyone was working, there seemed to be enough time to get everything completed before students began arriving. Thank goodness! Renjun sighed as he clutched his clipboard closer to his chest and checked off the last box. We're done!

"Okay attention everyone!" The short brunette tapped his pen on his clipboard, calling the gathered fifteen students to look over to him. 

"We're done! Thanks for all the hard work! Now go home, get dressed, and come back here a bit early to make finishing touches and take the covers off the food platters. Alright bye bye!" 

As the students, now jittery with excitement, made their way out of the large gym, Renjun grabbed his backpack. Jeno noticed only him and Yangyang remained. He decided to leave first, just in case Yangyang wanted to talk to Renjun in private.

"Hey!" Jeno was snapped out of his thoughts as the elder waved for both him and Yangyang to hurry over. Once they did he smiled. "Thanks so much for helping guys. It means a lot to me. You're my best friends." 

With that the shortest boy pulled the two into one big hug, squeezing his arms around their shoulders and pulling them closer. Yangyang and Jeno, caught by surprise didn't react immediately but eventually engaged in the group hug so that the three were embraced in the gym. Once they broke apart Renjun giggled, laugh tinkling like tiny bells.

"You guys were so tensed! Come on, I was just giving you a hug." Yangyang chortled excessively after the joke, Jeno chuckling more at the boy's poor flirting than his friend's joke. 

"Well then." Jeno winked at Yangyang. "My date went shopping with his friend for an outfit so I better go make sure they haven't killed each other yet. I'll see you guys tonight hopefully?" He shrugged as if asking them if they were attending.

"Ummm..." Renjun trailed off, looking at his feet. "I probably won't be go-"

Suddenly Yangyang sprung forwards and took Renjun's hands in his own, Jeno taking a few steps back to give them as much privacy as he could, though he couldn't really offer any. "Renjun go to prom with me? I really like you." 

Jeno struggled to hold back a chuckle as Renjun's mouth dropped open in shock.

"Me?!" The brunette seemed a bit sarcastic. "No no no Yangyang you can't afford to take me. I'm ugly and weird. You deserve someone better. I'm sure you can get someone else-"

"I want you and only you Huang Renjun. There's no one else in the world I'd rather go to prom with then you."

Jeno snuck a quick glance at the door and motioned his head towards it. Renjun nodded and Jeno made a beeline for the exit, wanting the two to be alone.

Renjun turned back to Yangyang and stuttered. "I-I don't deserve you Liu Yangyang....."

"Who says that?" Yangyang cocked his head to the side. "You're perfect. And I really really.....lov-like you." 

Renjun squeezed the boy's hand and moved ever so slightly closer to him. "I really really like you too. I'd love to go to prom with you." 

And with that Renjun leaned forwards unexpectedly and kissed Yangyang on the lips. The two stood in the gym, bodies pressed together as they both expressed their feelings for each other. 

(A/N sorry this was more of a filler. Next chapter is the big finale! And I promise they'll be more Nomin (since it's cannon) and some Chensung. Ty for reading and hope everything isn't going too fast ❤️)