Flashback 3

"Yangyang!" Chenle hissed at his friend. "Hendery got the car, Xiaojun is waiting for us!" 

"I know I know!" Yangyang retorted back. "What do we want?" 

Chenle glanced around the shelves, eyes surveying the wide colorful assortment of sodas and candies and chips. "Anything will do." 

Yangyang nodded. "I'm also grabbing some cigarettes."

"What about beer?" Chenle pressed pointing at the fridge.

Yangyang winced. "Too risky. Maybe another time." Chenle shrugged, agreeing with his partner in crime. "Okay act natural."

Chenle, merely 13, left his friend's side, pretending to peruse through the gas station store while Yangyang collected their needs. Yangyang took a quick look around and then slipped the cigarette pack under his sleeve. He paced back to the food aisles and hid a soda in his other hoodie sleeve and a bag of candies in his pocket. He pushed it down to look more natural and motioned for Chenle. 

Chenle licked his lips, brushing hair out his eyes and stuffing a couple candy bars in his hoodie pocket as well. The two boys met up in front of the door, ready to head out with their stolen goods. That is until their plans were foiled.

"Hey shoplifters! I'm calling the police!" The man behind the counter yelled in panic as customers began turning heads wildly to look at Chenle and Yangyang.

"Run!" Chenle cried. The two boys dashed for the door, slamming it on its hinges as they bolted for the car. The two jumped in the back seat, startling Hendery and Xiaojun.

"START THE FUCKING CAR!" Yangyang yelled, peering over the seat and pushing buttons. The 14 year old boy was scared, Chenle could tell. Hendery, clearly puzzled by the two boys panic threw his hands up. 

"You were caught? For the snacks or this?" He patted the dashboard of the stolen car. 

"Ummm....." Chenle tapped his finger on his chin. "Probably both if we don't get out of here!"

"Then step on it Hendery!" Xiaojun, the handsome Chinese boy shouted as he stuck his vape pen back in his mouth. 

Hendery wasted no time, stepping on the gas and ferrying the four of the thieves out of the gas station. Chenle jumped as they sped over a speed bump, breathing heavily. Stealing gave him quite the adrenaline rush. He loved it. He knew it was wrong and he shouldn't do it behind his mother and Jaemin's backs but he did anyways.

"Go go go!" Yangyang beat the driver seat as Hendery sped up. Liu Yangyang. A unique boy with multiple personalities. He had DID, a condition in which he struggled to control two different personas living in his one body. Chenle still loved him, they were best friends. And Yangyang was fun. He had been the one to suggest stealing the parked car the four had seen while walking down the street.

"I'm going!" Hendery jeered back. Ah, Wong Kunhang or Hendery as the boys called him. Hendery was the leader of their little thieving ring. He was talented, could break a lock within seconds and disarm security cameras in record time. Chenle always believe Hendery was going somewhere. But the only place that boy was destined to go was prison.

"Did you get anything?" Xiaojun asked, flicking the vape pen in his mouth. And finally, Xiao Dejun also called Xiaojun. Xiaojun was the only member that Chenle was still a little wary with. The boy was fresh out of juvenile court, having robbed department stores with his friends Sicheng and Lucas until all three were thrown in jail for younger folk. He was 15. He also carried a knife, and had a gun in the car which kept Chenle on edge.

Before Chenle could respond the sound of police sirens cut through the cool evening air. "Shit." He muttered before handing Xiaojun the candy bars. "That's what I got. Yangyang?" 

Yangyang unpacked his goods swiftly, hands shaking suddenly. 

"What, you pussy? You scared?" Xiaojun mocked the younger boy. Yangyang's eyes hardened, his first and true personality coming out to show.

"No." He lied, handing over the snacks and cigarette pack. "I'm not a pussy." 

"Pull over and come out of the car with your hands above your head." The police megaphones screeched in their ears, making Hendery veer a little to the left, on the edge of the forest cradling their small town.

"We got to go!" Chenle urged but Yangyang grabbed his thigh. 

"When I say go, throw open the car door and we jump out." Yangyang muttered, voice so low only Chenle could hear him.

"What?" Chenle questioned, full volume.

"Go!" Yangyang exclaimed causing Hendery and Xiaojun to snap their heads back. Chenle slammed the door open and screamed in fright as Yangyang threw his warm, strong body over him and threw them out of the moving car. Yangyang rolled them away until they fell down a steep slope on the side of the forest, escaping the clutches of the police.

"YOU COULD HAVE KILLED-"

Yangyang put his hand over Chenle's mouth and put a finger to his lips. The blonde boy shut up obediently as the German boy's brows knitted in concentration. "Talk now." He finally released his friend and leaned against a tree.

"You could have killed us!" Chenle shrieked, shaking Yangyang. "We could have died!"

Yangyang chuckled. "Yeah but we're safe. The others will get the blow." 

"Unless they rat us out." Chenle worried, feeling another panic attack (induced by their thievery) coming on. He rubbed his temples, stressed out. "We're going to jail."

"Chill out. We won't go to jail." Yangyang scoffed straightening his head tie. "Let's go home."

Chenle breathed heavily, shaking out his hands, adrenaline flowed through his blood like a drug. Yangyang pulled out his only vape pen and offered it to Chenle. "Want some?" He asked, friendly. 

Chenle grinned at the boy, completely forgetting his stress. He was in love. "Sure." He responded. The two laughed together, walking home hand in hand as their colleges were arrested.

Looking back on that night, Chenle realized he shouldn't have done it. Shouldn't have gone with Yangyang. Shouldn't have stopped before they got home to make out. 

Shouldn't have fallen in love that easily. 

For now his heart was broken.