The Secret Marriage

In the presence of Radha(Karna's mother), Krishna, Drupad, and Drishtadhyumn, Panchali agreed to marry Angraaj Karn. They reached a forest area where Sage Vyasa resided.

"Do your husbands know about this, princess?" Karna asked with bitterness in his tone.

"Yes, they do," Draupadi replied blankly without any expression in her face.

"Do they know that you are marrying me?" Karna asked,

"No, they don't. Mata Kunti's order." Draupadi said and turned away.

Her one-line answers clearly indicated that she was not ready for that alliance. 

______________________________________________

Draupad took Krishna aside.

"I cannot see my daughter in this condition. Angraaj does not deserve to be my daughter's husband. After all, he's an illegitimate child," Drupad spit out venom

Krishna's calm face turned expressionless.

"He's the mantra-prasad of Suryadev," Krishna said and the Sun's brightness increased multiple times. Drupad was shocked sensing the sun lord's anger on the whole planet.

"I am sorry Suryadev! Please forgive me! I must have not called your son in such a way! Please do not punish the whole earth and lives for my mistake, please forgive me, Oh Lord!" Drupad said.

Krishna looked in the direction of the sun and nodded slightly with a smile. The rays turned back to a normal state.

 ___________________________________________

"What is this Angraaj?" Draupad asked as he saw the reflection of a fish in a bowl of oil. The set up was similar to that of Draupadi's swayamvar.

"I am trying to do the unfinished work, King Drupad. I will have to prove myself before I marry your daughter. I was stopped at the swayamvar. My love for archery is more than anything else in this world," Karna said and looking at the reflection, perfectly aimed at the eye of the fish and hit the target effortlessly.

Drupad and Drishtadhyumn looked at each other with awe. The rotating Matsya-Yantra was higher than the one kept in the swayamvar.

"Princess, you told me that even Yaksha, Gandharva, Dev, Asur have the competence and I told you I will reply later. I feel this is the right time. In Yaksha, Gandharva, Dev, Asur, and Humans the difference was created by God. We, humans, created the difference of Brahman, Kshatriya, Vaisya(Farmers and merchants), Sudra, Suta, etc. When God had made the difference, it is called Natural. When humans see the difference, it is artificial," Karna said making Draupadi dumbfounded. Karna did have a lot of knowledge and he knew basic manners. He did not create a scene at the swayamvar and just went telling her that he would explain later.

"In my point of view, no child should be deprived of his or her dreams," Karna said and shot a quiet glare at Draupadi.

Krishna was pleased with Karna's thoughts

"Wow, Angraaj! Such intricate knowledge! I am impressed" Krishna smiled.

"I just wanted to prove that I am no less than a Kshatriya," He said looking at Drupad.

"You are a Kshatriya," muttered Draupadi.Drupad silently nodded.

"Why are you marrying me when you already have married someone else? Why are you marrying me when you don't want to?" Karna asked gripping his Vijaya bow tight.

"Because I promised Rajmata Kunti," Draupadi said

"I do not understand the Dharma system of this Aaryavrat, "Karna spoke aloud.Krishna smiled

"Of course Angraaj, even I don't understand," Krishna winked at him.

___________________________________________________

Vyasa smiled at the two people in front of him. "What vows would you make to each other?" Vyasa asked

"This is just a namesake wedding where we are not going to live together," Karna said angrily.

"Yes, it is the truth. I am marrying him just because of the promise I made," Draupadi glared at Karna

"Sakhi! He is ready to fulfill your promise, don't you think you have to thank him?" Krishna asked Draupadi.

"I am not doing this for her, I am doing this for my mother because she made me promise her," Karna frowned at Draupadi.

"Of the Fire and the Sun," Krishna said and laughed at the two.

"The wedding will not be considered when both of you do not promise something to each other," Vyasa said

"I swear I will never ever enter her chamber at any cost," Karna said in front of the fire.

Drupad, Drishtadhyumn, Panchaali, Radha were shocked, listening to this.

Draupadi thought "Such a heart hearted man he is! I wish I never get married to him,"

"May I know the reason for this big decision?" Vyasa asked and continued,"What about the rights of a husband?"

"Duties of a husband comes before he exercises his rights on her. My job is to protect her honor in the society. The situation we are stuck in is different from the other normal weddings. Our wedding is a secret one and we are not going to live like a normal couple. I will respect her, that is all I can say for now," Karna said

Draupadi was dumbstruck. She had not thought of her own respect but Karna had thought of it. Such an unpredictable man he was."I will respect him, too," Draupadi said

The two took seven rounds around the fire and in the meantime, Kunti had arrived. She was overwhelmed to see Karna but she felt bad for Draupadi.

"I have fulfilled my promise, mother," Draupadi said as Kunti did the Kanyadhan. ________________________________________________