Chapter 16

THEY HAD DRIVEN TO ABIGAILShouse and parked in the back so they wouldn't be seen

house and parked in the back so they wouldn't be seen. They ran up to the door and Riley got some stuff out if his bag.

"I can't believe that you have to break into your own house." He said and Ben sighed, watching Riley work his magic.

"I need Abigail's ID. She has access to the Booth diary page." Ben explained.

They speedwalked through the garden, past the fountain and towards the main entrance.

"Why don't you just ask her for her help?" Riley asked as he got something out of his backpack.

"She changed the alarm code, Riley. I don't think she really wants to talk to me" Ben said and Alex's hand hovered over the gate door.

"We only have 30 seconds after the alert starts to disable the alarm." Riley said. They opened the door, rushing inside as Riley connected his stuff to the alarm and Alex watched in awe as Ben explained why he and Abagail broke up.

She left that detail out with Alex, as Ben went on and on about how she said 'so' all the time.

"Now I've moved out and we are dividing furniture which feels more stressful than when we bought it" Ben said and Riley reconnected the alarm codes.

"Women. Can't live with them, especially if they change the alarm codes," he said and Alex elbowed him in the side before he laughed.

"You did that in 25 seconds." She said, sounding impressed and he smiled to himself, pulling her closer towards him.

"And that is why I tell people to get a dog." He said, making her laugh as they followed Ben up the stairs towards her office.

Alex held up her keys and opened the door, "You had keys the whole time and I did all that," Riley exclaimed, laughing and Alex winked at him.

"I like to see you at work, what can I say," Alex whispered in his ear whilst Ben dug through Abagail's desk drawer.

"Got it." He said and they heard a rumble of a car and a light illuminating the room from a car light. Ben went to the window and looked at the car pulling up.

"Wait that is not Abigail's car." He said and Alex subconsciously slapped herself.

"She was on a date." She explained, seemingly forgetting to let her brother know about that fact.

Riley and Alex joined him at the window as they looked at the man with her.

"Isn't that that guy? You know, um, The White House guy?" Riley asked and Alex nodded as she looked at him. "He's weird!"

"We really gotta go," Alex said and they all followed her out to the foyer of the house, walking down the grand staircase.

"This is wow. You work in a museum, and you live in one." The man said and Alex scoffed, he was already annoying her and they'd been there for like 5 minutes.