Chapter 29

AFTER BEN TURNED HIMSELF IN TOthe authorities Sadusky escorted them to a hangar where they were given blankets and were taken to meet the President

the authorities Sadusky escorted them to a hangar where they were given blankets and were taken to meet the President.

The four were escorted in and Riley stared at the president in awe when they approached him. He kept hitting Alex's arm in shock, never taking his eyes off of the president.

"Stop it Ry," she said jokingly as she also looked impressed that they were in the presence of the President Of the United Statesof America.

"Mr President?" One of his servicemen said as the president approached the four.

"Craig, give us a minute." The president said without even looking back at the guy.

"Sir, for your information, this is the man who kidnapped you." One of the guards said.

"As I recall, we were exploring a hidden tunnel, and a door closed accidentally, and this man saved my life." The president said without taking his eyes off of Ben.

"Yes, sir." The secret service man replied before walking away and leaving the president alone with them.

"For the record, after centuries of exploration, on this day, you have brought honor to your country and your family." The president said and he turned to look at Alex, Riley and Abigail.

"You've done this country a great service. I thank you." He said and Abagail nodded her head, Alex said a quick thank you but Riley only managed out a small nervous laugh.

Alex smiled at him, loving his nerdiness as she grabbed his hand, leaning her head on his shoulder.

"Craig." He said and the secret service man walked over to hand the president a newspaper.

"I thought you might want to take a look at tomorrow's headlines." He said, handing Ben the paper. "All of you, along with Emily and Patrick Gates will get credit for this discovery."

"And Mitch Wilkinson, sir." Alex interrupted, the president turned to look at her and smiled.

"Is that right?" He asked, walking closer to Alex who was looking pretty nervous for talking directly to the president.

Riley squeezed her hand in excitment and Alex ignored it, nodding her head. "Its true sir, he saved mine and my friends lives," she said and the president smiled at her, walking back to her brother.

"Ben, I am curious about that favor I asked you. Any report regarding what's on page 47?" The president said in an ominous tone, Ben nodded his head slightly.

"I believe I can help with that, sir." He replied with an equally mysterious tone.

"So it's good." The president asked and Ben nodded his head again, never breaking eye contact with the president.

"Life altering, sir." Ben said.

The president motioned to the side and him and Ben started to walk towards another exit from the one that they came in.

"What's on page 47? Are you talking about the Book?" Riley called out in confusion and the President turned around the look at them.

"What book?" He said with a smirk on his face. Alex bit her lip and looked at her boyfriend, a big smile on her face as she looked back at his confused face

☆☆☆

THE COUPLE WALKED THROUGH THE party at Mount Rushmore, Riley carrying a load of souvenirs in his hands, once again rejecting help from Alex, apparently there was important stuff in there.

"Excuse me," a blonde lady said as she placed her hand on Rileys arm, stopping him. "You're that guy, the treasure hunter guy,"

"No, actually the guy your thinking about is over there, but his sis-" he started to say, motioning to alex, when the lady cut him off with a laugh.

"No, you're him, Riley Poole," she said, pulling his book out of her bag.

"I recognise you from the book, and I know you too, cute message," she said, the end directed towards Alex.

She turned to look at her boyfriend who had the biggest grin on his face and she grabbed his bags, holding them in her arms so he wouldn't drop them.

"Can you sign it?" She asked Riley who was smiling like crazy as he signed his name on the front cover of the book, taking a picture with him and the blonde lady before she walked off smiling.

"You happy?" She asked Riley as she handed him the stuff back and he nodded, pulling her in for a hug.

"I love you so much," he whispered into her ear and Alex laughed to herself,pulling away slightly.

"I love you too," she said smiling as they walked towards her brother and Abigail who were sitting on a ledge.

Ben nodded her head at him as Riley passed him the bags, leaving Alex looking at him confused whilst Abigail smiled in the back.

He grabbed Alex's hands and dropped onto one knee. She gasped, feeling the tears well up in her eyes already.

Abigail, Ben and her parents were smiling from the back as they watched Riley reach into his jacket pocket. He pulled out a case, opening it to reveal a diamond ring.

"Alexandra Eliza Gates, I have loved you since that day on the Charlotte when I thought I would lose you forever and no matter what adventures we end up on, I want to be doing them with you," he said and Alex bit her lip, tears of joy rolling down her cheeks.

"Marry me and make me the happiest man on Earth," Riley said and Alex nodded her head.

A crowd had gathered so they all applauded as the two kissed passionately before he slid the ring onto her finger.

Alex turned to her parents who were smiling. She hugged her mum before hugging her dad who actually had tears in her eyes.

"You look after her Riley," Ben said as he hugged his best friend before turning to his sister, pulling her into a tight hug. Thats when they all knew it would be ok, that they were going to be happy.

1199 words