Chapter 17

THE THREE SAT ON THE PLANE ONthe plane on the way to France in the middle row

the plane on the way to France in the middle row. Riley in the middle with Alex resting her head on his shoulder as she fell asleep against him.

"You need to talk to my mum about it," Ben said and Riley turned slightly to look at him as much as he could without waking Alex up.

"I know but I have had no excuse to see her yet, however I did talk to your dad earlier," Riley explained, his voice nervous as Ben laughed.

"I'm good with it," Ben said as he looked down at his little sisters smiling and nuzzling her head into Riley's neck while she slept.

"You have it on you?" Ben asked and Riley shook his head and laughed a bit.

"No Ben, I don't just carry it around with me like it's my baby," Riley explained, a quiet laugh escaping his lips.

Ben started laughing too and Alex started to stir in her sleep. "Still?" Ben asked and Riley nodded his head.

Alex was shaking her head against Rileys shoulder as her breathing got heavy. Riley wrapped his arm around her, his hand stroking at her hair as she calmed down in her sleep, her breathing steady and her heart wasn't beating so fast,

"I didn't realise she still had nightmares, it's been nearly two years," Ben said to his best friend who was still running his fingers through Alex's hair.

Riley sighed as he looked at Ben, "She hasn't had a nightmare for probably about 6 months for as far as I know but the whole claustrophobia and the tunnels." Riley said, taking a break at the end as he frowned.

"I hate watching her like it, you know. She'll wake up in the middle of the night sobbing and I can't do anything to help her," Riley explained as Alex calmed down, sleeping soundly against Riley. His arms wrapped around her whilst he looked at Ben.

"Yeah. I get it," Ben said, placing a hand on Riley's shoulder in a weird manly way of saying they support one another.

"We only have 3 hours left, why don't you get some sleep," Ben suggested and Riley leaned his head against the back of the seat and nodded his head, falling asleep nearly instantly.

They landed, placed their bags in the hotel room and got a cab to the statue of liberty. Riley turned on his helicopter with a camera attached to it and started flying it towards the statue, trying to see an inscription.

Alex smiled at the look of concentration that lingered on his face, deciding not to bother him with the nightmare from the plane.

"This is like, impossible, what you're doing." Alex said, watching the drone fly up along the statue of liberty.

"I'm glad you're enjoying it." Riley said, kissing Alex on the cheek before looking back at the drone that was circling the statue.

"Laboulaye had to leave a clue on it somewhere. Maybe move in on the torch." Ben suggested.

"Let me get there. It's not as easy as it looks." Riley explained, concentration covering his face as he manoeuvred the helicopter around.

Suddenly, a pair of police officers pulled up behind them and started talking in French, Ben turned around to go talk to them.

"Excuse me, officer. May I help you?" Ben said as he walked towards them.

"Ah, American, eh? Of course you see no problem in ruining everyone elses nicr morning with your irritating buzzing," the French police officer said as he looked back at Riley and Alex who were watching the helicopter.

"You know how much our constitution was influenced by your man, Montesquieu?" Ben asked and the French police officers looked impressed.

"You know Montesquieu?" He questioned and Ben smiled.

"Got it." Riley muttered to himself as he zoomed in on the torch and they read out the engraving on the side of the torch.

"Montesquieu, yeah. 'A government should be set up so that no man need be afraid of another." Ben said and Riley rushed to the group with Alex on his tail.

"We got it, we've got it." Riley yelled out when he got there.

"I hope you read French." He said and Alex tried to protest and explain she could speak French when the cop interrupted.

"May I?" The French officer asked and Ben passed the helicopter to him.

"He's a cop." Riley protested but Ben just narrowed his eyes at him.

"Across the sea these twins stand resolute to preserve what we are looking for. Laboulaye, 1876." He read out.

"It's a clue." Alex said and Riley placed his hand on her shoulder and she leaned

"These twins stand resolute." Alex said to herself as she thought alongside her brother who was pacing back and forth.

"Let's see. Resolute twins. Siamese twins Siam? Trade routes between France and Thailand? That's ridiculous." Ben said and then turned back to look at Alex.

"HMS Resolute?" He said, toying with the idea that set off an idea in Alex's mind.

"Of course, the HMS Resolute A British ship that got lost in the Arctic the 1800s. It was salvaged by American whalers, and then Congress sent it back to England. When the ship was finally retired. Queen Victoria had two desks made from its timbers." Alex explained and the siblings high fived. She looked back to see Riley smiling at her, a proud look on his face.

Ben narrowed his eyes as he thought to himself "The closest one is in London." He said before looking at Riley.

"How fast can we get to Buckingham Palace?" Ben asked and he shrugged his shoulders looking at the police offficers.

"Don't know. Why don't you ask your new best friend?" He said in a snarky tone.

"He's going to call you a cab." The police officer said as he called up the company.

The other officer looked at Rileys helicopter and smiled, "Nice helicopter. Is that yours?" He asked and Riley smiled.

"Yes, actually. It is." He said and the officer nodded his head.

"Okay, so you get the ticket." He said, his French accent thick as he looked at Rileys sad looking face.

"Great." He muttered to himself before looking at Alex who was smiling at him.

1356 words