Chapter 27

THEY WALKED INTO AM EMPTY AND dark room with the only sound they could hear being water probably from some kind of waterfall

"I can't see anything," Riley said as he stood next to Alex looking out at whatever was in the room.

Ben walked over to some kind of wooden structure and dipped a finger in it.

"It's oil," he stated as he got the flare out of his bag, placing it onto the oil to reveal that the room was just some wooden structure surrounded by waterfalls.

"It's a dead end," Alex said as she followed Abagail and her lantern towatds one of the waterfalls.

"Theres no way out, we have to turn back," Abigail said as they looked at all of the different waterfalls.

"There's no forward!" Abigail yelled out.

"It's not forward, it's down!" Ben said as he looked down at the water to see a current.

"All this water has to go out somewhere otherwise, it'd be filled up." He explained, gesturing to the water that was not filling the room.

His eyes landed on a giant spindle with 5 holds and Ben rushed towards it. "Help me turn this wheel!" He said and everyone ran towards it.

All five of them grabbed onto a separate spindle of it and started to turn it around. That made the water stop flowing out of holes and made yhe water start to leave the weird room.

"The water's going down." Mitch stated, following Mitch down the tunnels at the end. Alex smiled and grabbed onto Riley's shoulder as she looked out at the city of gold. Thousands of years of history stored down here and they had finally found it.

To make the moment even better two other people had found them, "Ben, Alex! Hey!" Their parents yelled out.

Alex gasped when she saw them standing there waving at them, she waved her arms back. "Dad! Look we found it!" Ben yelled out,

"Thomas was right!" Patrick yelled back, they could barely hear each other over the water and the long distance.

"No, you were right!" Alex shouted back as she smiled at her older parents looking like they are getting along.

"Sorry I smeared your great-great granddaddy's good name. At the time it looked as if it was the only way to get you in on the hunt." Mitch said and Alex was actually shocked he was apologising for doing all of this.

But right now she didn't really care, they had found the city of gold. "But this was a chance for the Wilkinson family to make my mark on history, to find the City of Gold, to be remembered in the history books." Mitch said, his apology taking a pretty dark turn.