Chapter 24

ALEX STOOD WITH RILEY AT MOUNT Rushmore

ALEX STOOD WITH RILEY AT MOUNT Rushmore. They knew that Mitch and his gang were coming so they were hidden in plain sight.

"Hello Mitch." Ben said as he saw the man walking along the path with his gang and Emily.

Mitch grabbed his gun and pointed it at Emily, "Mom." Ben said in a worried tone as she smiled at him proud.

"I knew you'd figure out the message that I gave to your father." She said and Ben smiled at her before looking back at Mitch.

"The hummingbird was a good one. Now Mitch, let my mum go." He ordered and Mitch almost laughed at it.

"We're the ones with the firepower, and you think that you can be the one giving me orders." He said, a sort of cockiness in his voice.

"I kidnapped the president." Ben stated bluntly as Emily looked up at him in shock, "The FBI is on their way to arrest me, and I'm sure that they would really love to meet you. They'll find us both and arrest us and that path doesn't lead to the City of Gold, does it?"

Emily tried to wriggle her way out, "Ben. This man has information you need. He's got a letter-" She stated and Ben nodded his head.

"-From Queen Victoria to General Albert Pike." He finished for his mum.

"How do you know that?" Mitch asked, sounding slightly annoyed at the fact he no longer had much leverage.

"I read about it, in a book." Ben explained before looking over at Riley and Alex who were the look outs, in case the FBI found them.

"I'm sorry to say that he's burned it." Emily stated soundings sad and almost hopeless.

"All right. You've had me do all the work so far, why stop now?" Ben asked, crossing his arms in front of his chest.

"You tell me what you know, I'll find the City of Gold, prove that Thomas Gates is innocent then you can have the treasure." Ben bargained, offering Mitch all of the treasure

"What?" Riley asked as he stood down the hill. Alex whacked him on the arm.

"Shh Ry," she whispered and her mum instantly looked at the girl, smiling as she saw Riley Poole for the first time in real life.

"I'm going with you. But if anyone here is gonna be credited for finding the City of Gold, it's going to be me." Mitch stated but Ben still had his own terms.

"Fine, but your partners stay here, and all the guns." He explained and Mitch scoffed at the idea.

"What makes you think I'd agree?" Mitch questioned, moving slightly closer to Ben as he said it.

"Because you need that treasure. Believe me, I know how that feels." Ben explained and Mitch smiled at him.

"All right, Gates. We'll do it your way." Mitch said, handing over his two guns.