St. Marcus Day

I watched as Dahlia vanished into the sea of red cloaks. I had no idea why we were here for Saint Marcus' Day. There are so many other interesting sights in Italy, but we weren't going to see those. This is what they wanted; I had no say. I sat on the edge of a fountain and watched the people dance around and drink.

What person would come to this kind of thing willingly?

My foster parents, Dahlia and Andrew, were the exact kind of people who would. They were always looking for the 'supernaturals'. They wanted more than life to prove they existed. In other words they were complete mental cases.

I guess I should just be grateful they brought me along. Normally they go to these things alone. At least I was out of the house, even if it was to watch grown men and woman prance around dressed as little red riding hood.

I wondered if Dahlia and Andrew would come back to find me, or if they would become distracted and leave me here in Italy. It wouldn't be the first time I've been forgotten by them. Luckily for me the last time they just left me at the local pawnshop, but Italy would just be the next step, right?

A line of people carrying large red and gold flags parted the crowd. I watched them swing the flags around wildly.

How hadn't they taken anybody's head off yet?

I watched the flag guys, praying for anything interesting to happen. Out of the corner of my eye I spotted a black speck, traveling quickly through the red crowd. Bingo. He turned down an alleyway, and before I could stop to think about it I was already chasing him.

'Curiosity killed the cat.' I can't tell you how many times I've heard that one. My curiosity has gotten me in trouble a many times, and I would never learn. I was 'troubled' according to Andrew. I certainly couldn't be just a normal kid. No, that'd be absurd. Andrew always insisted that I was a danger and I couldn't be trusted alone. I always argued with him, of course. He couldn't talk. He was the town drunk, and he had an extravagant Batman merchandise collection. He had no right to call me troubled.

Although, I was the one following a cloaked figure into a dark alleyway just to provide me some entertainment, so maybe he wasn't completely wrong.

The cloaked man was fast, I had to run just to keep up. He turned a corner and I heard a door slam. I had traveled deep into town, and I had no idea where I was. The alley was empty and dark, there were no windows or doors on either of the walls. The only thing there, was a skinny staircase that led to what looked to be a basement door.

I hesitantly walked up to the door and twisted the handle, to my surprise the door creaked open. I was met with a hallway that seemed to stretch on for miles. It was dark, damp and the only light came from torches mounted on the wall. It reminded me of a dungeon from a fairytale.

"What the hell?" I whispered to myself.

My head yelled at me to turn around and go back, but my feet continued forward anyway. The hallway seemed to continue on forever. On occasion I'd find large wooden doors, but they were always locked from the inside.

After walking for what seemed like hours, I turned a corner and found myself face to face with a very attractive woman. Her hair was long and had a purplish tint. Although she was very alluring, her eyes were offputting, they seemed to almost glow red.

"Did you get split up from the rest of the tour group?" She asked warmly.

"Um, yes I did." I lied. I didn't want them to call the cops on me for trespassing.

"Well come with me, I'll help you find them." She offered. I just nodded my head hoping she wouldn't ask any questions.

"My names Heidi. What's your name young man?" She questioned.