Stitches

"You blood is very pleasant." Jane whispered just loud enough for me to hear.

"Oh god." I chuckled. I leaned into the stone wall, about twenty feet away from Jane.

"I can't believe you did that." She shook her head at me. I gave her a smile and a shrug.

"Me neither. I almost passed out." I admitted, giving a small shake of my head.

"Kian!" She yelled in disbelief. "I can't believe you hurt yourself like that!" She shook her head, and the hallway went silent. I wasn't sure what else to say or do.

"Well should I just come back tomorrow? I think my hands will be better by then." I offered.

"Yeah, that would probably be best. The smell of blood is driving me insane." She waved goodbye, and went into her study. I walked down the hall, and kept my hands close to me in an attempt to hide the smell from any passing vampires.

I opened the door, and Artie was staring back at me in shock. He was holding the bloody pocket knife carefully.

"What did you do?" He sounded furious.

"It's not what it looks like." I assured him. It was exactly what it looked like, but I didn't cut myself in an attempt at self harm. I cut myself to feed my friend. That sounded very strange, but it was true.

"Than what is this? Don't tell me you cut yourself." He glanced at my bandaged hands and gasped quietly. Artie gave me a begging stare, and it made me feel guilty. This was really hurting him.

"Let me explain." I walked over to my bed and sat down. He stared at me the entire time.

"They've been starving Jane." I explained. Artie looked furious.

"So you're friends again? You forgive her just like that, after she has ignored you for a month!" He yelled. I nodded my head wearily.

"Kian, don't you remember how she made you feel! She left you! And this is how she apologizes, asking you to give her your blood!" He ranted, and started pacing.

"She didn't ask me for blood! She did the opposite actually! This was my idea, okay!" I argued.

"Kian, she's using you! Why can't you see that!" He pointed a finger at me while he spoke, which further pissed me off. I stood up, and stared at him coldly.

"She isn't using me Artie! You're just jealous that I'm closer to her than I am to you!" I insulted. His face started turning red.

"Why would I be jealous of her! She's a monster! She kills people! She hurts people! She hurt you! She's evil! Why can't you see that!" He screamed.

"She is not! She doesn't mean to hurt people! You don't understand her, don't pretend that you do! Jane is amazing! You just can't see her as anything, but a vampire! She's so much more! She's the best thing that ever happened to me!" I screamed at him. He took a step back and looked at me with wide eyes.

"Y-You... l-love her. Don't you?" He asked in shock. I stared at him, taking a second to comprehend what he just said. I snapped back into reality and shook my head.

"No." I turned and headed for the door, but Artie caught my arm and held me back.

"You're not leaving. I've worked here longer. I'm your superior Kian, you're going to listen or I'll report you to Aro." He threatened.

"He'll kill me Artie. Are you really threatening me with that?" I asked him.

"I'm serious Kian, go sit down. Your not leaving until I tell you." He ordered. I made my way to my bed, and sat down. I didn't like Artie's new authoritative role he was taking over me. He picked up his first aid kit off his bed and brought it over to me.

"Give me your hand Kian." Artie demanded. I did what he told me. He unwrapped my hand, it was still bleeding. Artie pulled out a shiny needle and some thread. I was starting to grow nervous. He handed me a rag.

"You might want to bite down on something." He suggested. I took the rag in the hand Artie wasn't holding, and I brought it to my mouth biting down on it.

The needle pierced my skin painfully. Artie started stitching my wound closed. This whole process seemed far more painful than the original cut was. I whimpered as he continued to sew my skin closed.

"Do you know how many nerves there are in your hand Kian? You could have caused permanent damage, I'm honestly surprised you didn't." He lectured. I nodded my head apologetically.

He finally finished the painful task, and spread some clear liquid over the stitches. I assumed it was to clean it.

"Give me your other hand." Artie ordered. I shook my head. I didn't want to go through that painful process again.

"I'm serious Kian. Give it to me!" He demanded. I slowly moved it over to him. He unwrapped it, and the needle pierced my skin once again. A tear escaped my eye. I was able to remain quiet while I was stitched up, but Artie kept getting mad at me for moving. Once Artie finished he put the cleaning liquid over it, and wrapped my hands in new bandages. I spit out the rag I had been biting.

"I'm s-sorry." I mumbled. Artie looked at me in surprise.

"I'm sorry too, but I'm just worried about you. You haven't been eating, and now this. I just don't like what Jane is doing to you." He said. His concern was obvious.

"It's not Jane. It's my fault. I should have handled things better." I sighed. He nodded his head, and the room fell into silence.

"So your going to come to work with me tomorrow right?" He asked.

"Probably not." I admitted. He sighed loudly.

"Of course your not." He scoffed. I shrugged his comment off, and went to get ready for bed. I was tired of arguing.

I layed down in my bed, and stared at the ceiling. I finally felt like I might be able to sleep.

"Goodnight Artie." I stated, trying to sound friendly.

"Goodnight Kian."