Freedom

●○●○●○

I was standing protectively by Jane, in a murky field. The sky was a solid dark grey color. The entire Volturi was with us and they were looking off into the distance. A group of Vampires rushed in front of us, followed by a group of humongous wolves. They glared at us maliciously.

On instinct I got into a crouching position, I would protect Jane from these monsters. Their group rushed at us. The Volturi and the Olympic coven were both being slaughtered. Jane looked frightened and was using her gift to keep people away from us.

Alec was killed in the distance and Jane lost concentration. A large vampire pounced at her, but I tackled him to the ground before he could touch her. I bit his neck and tore off his head, like I had seen others do.

Jane was on her knees crying over the loss of her brother. I dragged her into into a large bush, hiding the both of us. Jane sobbed into my chest. It was killing me too see her like this. I wanted to make the pain go away, but I couldn't. The Cullens had stolen away her brother, and I couldn't get him back for my beloved Jane.

I hated the Cullens.

○●○●○

A knock on my door woke me up. I walked over and twisted the doorknob. I let out a gasp at the sight of Alec standing outside my room.

"Uh.. um... good morning master Alec." I greeted nervously.

"Hello Kian. May I speak with you for a moment, in my office?" He asked casually.

"Of course. Have I done something wr-wrong sir?" I stuttered.

"No Kian, I just want to talk. Shall we?" He asked. I nodded my head, and swallowed the lump in my throat. He turned and walked down the hallway. His cloak blew behind him, he was a lot faster than Jane.

He opened the door to his study and invited me to sit on his couch. I slowly sat down, I felt like my heart was going to beat out of my chest.

"Kian calm down. I'm not going to hurt you." He assured me. I nodded my head and took deep breaths.

"I actually wanted to thank you," Alec stated emotionlessly.

"What?" I asked. I felt my eyebrows crease. Why on Earth would Alec thank me for anything?

"What you did for Jane yesterday was impressive. I want to thank you for being her friend, and treating her so well. Even though I find it strange to be friends with a human, I haven't seen Jane so happy in a long time." His lips tugged upwards slightly into a very slim smile.

"You don't have to thank me for that, really sir." I assured him.

"I disagree." He stated bluntly. "I've been worried about Jane recently. She's been starving and in constant pain. You changed that Kian. Thank you."

"You're welcome." I whispered in embarrassment. I wasn't used to being thanked, especially by vampires. I was usually the one causing trouble, not the one helping people.

"I want to propose something to you Kian." Alec stated and crossed his arms.

"Okay. What is it?" I asked in confusion.

"I want to offer you your freedom. Your generosity should be rewarded. Me and Jane can help you escape. You just have to promise me you won't reveal our secret." He looked at me waiting for an answer. I didn't know what to say. I was speechless.

"I-I promise. Th-Thank you sir." I stuttered.

"One thing you have to realize though, if you take this deal, your life can't go back to normal. If you leave here your in danger, you have to run. Constantly. If you are caught by the Volturi they will kill you without a second thought." He informed me seriously.

"I understand that sir."

"The leaders are leaving for an execution tomorrow night. That is when we'll leave. Me and Jane will take you out of Volterra, but that is as far as we will go. From there you are on your own." He stated. I nodded, showing him I understood.

"I'm going to go get Jane, make yourself comfortable. We'll continue our plans when I get back." He left quickly. I let out a breath I had apparently been holding. I ran a hair through my hair absentmindedly.

Was this really happening?

Was I really going to leave this place?

Jane opened the door, and gave me a Jane smile. I grinned back at her happily.

"Thank you." I whispered.

"It was the least I could do." She shrugged. She looked at me in the eyes with a light smile. It quickly turned into a glum expression, her eyebrows scrunched together in thought.

"What's wrong Jane?" I asked her. She was making me nervous. Did she change her mind?

"It's nothing Kian." She sighed.

"You'll feel better if you talk about it." I advised. She shifted her gaze to her fingers.

"I'm just nervous." She whispered.

"I'm nervous too." I sighed.

Alec walked into the door carrying a small backpack. He handed it to me and sat down next to his sister.

"It has $5,000 in it, give or take. Varying in currency. " He informed me. I nodded my head and peeked into the bag. This was the most money I had ever had.

"Thank you." I whispered gratefully. Alec nodded.

"We'll meet here tomorrow night. Jane will come to get you Kian. The plan will go from there." Alec stood up and opened the door for me. I walked out and Jane followed me.

"Let's go to my study for a while Kian." Jane insisted. I smiled at her and followed her down the hallway. We entered the familiar room, it calmed me down instantly. I took in the scent of the old books.

"I'm going to miss this place." I sighed, and I sat down in one of the armchairs.

"Really?" Jane asked in surprise.

"Yeah. I have a lot of good memories here." I smiled as I recalled Jane's relentless teasing when I had hummed a song from a certain musical, or the Latin lessons, and the talks we had. All the smiles and the laughs. This was the place I had found my best friend. This is where I found my Jane.

"We did have some enjoyable moments here, didn't we?" Jane smiled sadly.

"I'm going to miss you Jane." I turned to meet her eyes. She looked to mine and sighed. Her eyes were full of pain and sadness. I walked over to her and gave her a hug. Instead of going stiff like normal, she hugged me back. I took in her floral smelling perfume, and took a deep calming breath. She hugged me for a long time. I expected her to pull away, but she held on to me tightly.

"I'll miss you too Kian." She whispered.

I couldn't do this.

I couldn't leave her.

I had to find a new plan.