A Fight

"What happened?" I asked Jane. She let go of me and looked me in the eyes.

"I had to hurt you, and you passed out." She whispered, more tears streaking her face.

"I'm fine now." I assured her. She nodded. I looked around the room. We weren't in Jane's study, but it was an office of some sort. Jane and I were sitting on a long couch. The room was crowded with books similar to Jane's office.

"Where are we?" I asked her.

"We are in Alec's study. He feels bad for what happened to you." She informed me. I nearly laughed, but she was being serious. Alec couldn't possibly care about what happened to me. What was really going on?

"He's glad that I've found a friend. He worries about me, because of my gift. He thinks it can be to much for me. He worries that causing people so much pain will mentally scar me." She answered my unasked question. She sighed and stood up.

"He might be right. That terrified me, Kian." She admitted, and began to pace the room. "I can't trust myself around you anymore, you'll just get hurt again."

"I'm willing to take that chance, Jane. I trust you completely." I assured her. She sighed again.

"Kian I'll hurt you again. You can't be around me." She sounded like she was begging me to agree with her.

"I will take whatever pain you can dish out Jane. You are my friend and I'd do anything for you."

"Kian, Aro will kill you if you get in trouble again. I can't let that happen." She sounded like she was panicking.

"Don't worry about that. I'll be fine." I assured her.

"Kian please. Your making this so hard. We can't be friends anymore, it will just get you killed." She looked like she going to cry.

"That doesn't matter Jane. I have nothing to live for, the only thing that brings me happiness is being with you. Please don't take that away from me." I begged.

"Kian... please stop." She responded. She closed her eyes and ran a hand through her hair.

"We can make this work. It doesn't matter if I die or not. I was going to be killed anyway, I might as well spend the last of my time with a friend." I reasoned.

"I don't want your death to be my fault! You're my only real friend!" She turned to me her worried expression made a lump form in my throat. "I'm scared okay!" She cried out, brushing a hand through her hair again.

"Don't be. I'll be okay, really." I assured her.

"You are so stubborn." She sighed. She sat back down next to me resting her elbows on her knees, and placing her head in her palms.

"Please don't force me to stay away from you." I pleaded. I sounded like a child.

"Fine." Jane sighed. She stood up and grabbed my hand pulling me to my feet. "Do you want to continue our lesson?" She asked. I was so relieved I had talked Jane into spending time with me.

"Yep." I said with a grin. We walked into her office and I looked at her, waiting for her to start the lesson.

She sat down at her desk, and picked up a book. She started reading Latin and translating it back to English. I listened to her words and I nearly forgot about what had happened.

"Kian, can we just talk?" Jane asked out of the blue. She set down her book and turned to me.

"Sure Jane."

"What do you think of vampires?" She asked. Her face showed no sign of emotion. I hadn't expected this, and I tried to put my thoughts into words.

"Well honestly I'm not sure. They are honestly scary and... awful." I stated. I was mostly talking about the Volturi, not Jane. I didn't really think of Jane as a vampire.

"Oh." She folded her arms and looked down.

"I mean some of them are kind." I attempted to save this conversation, but I was failing miserably. "But, I mean they drink blood they aren't exactly... I mean they kill people.. they are murderers." I always told Jane the truth, but this time I felt like I should have lied. Jane looked infuriated.

"I think you should leave." She said quietly.

"Jane I didn't mean-" I tried to defend myself, but I was cut off.

"Leave Kian!" She ordered.

"I didn't mean what I said! You don't understand!" I yelled back, begging her to forgive me.

"Oh I understand perfectly! We are heartless monsters! Goodbye Kian!" She shouted. A sharp pain shot through me. Jane grabbed my arm and threw me outside her office, slamming the door in my face.

I pounded on her door. "Please Jane! I'm sorry! That's not what I meant! I just didn't know what to say! You caught me off gaurd!" I pleaded, but the room was silent.

Eventually, I gave up and walked off. I found my bedroom and layed down on my bed. I couldn't stop thinking about what had happened with Jane. How could I have said those horrible things too her? I had really messed up.

Artie walked in the room silently. He sat down on his bed and started to eat his food. He usually brought me some food too, but today he hadn't.

"Oh, so your not leaving me alone tonight?" He asked coldly.

"Nope." I said irritatedly. I didn't remove my eyes from the door. I hoped that Jane would walk in and I could apologize to her.

"What's up with you? You're acting so weird. What did you find out Jane doesn't actually like you?" He scoffed. I gave him a dirty look.

"What do you mean?"

"Let me guess, Jane made you feel special. Then she threw you away like nothing once she got bored." He rolled his eyes and layed down on the bed. "She was messing with you. She doesn't actually like you. She does it with all the handsome servant boys. It entertains her." He informed, with a look of pure boredom on his face.

"You're lying." I mumbled. I turned my back to him and closed my eyes. I became sick to my stomach, and I felt hot tears steak across my face. Jane did care about me. She had too.