Chase

Jane looked up at me with her large teary eyes and nodded. I stood up and pulled her close to me. I backed away slowly keeping my eyes on the group of vampires still standing in the field. Everything was going really well, until the wind picked up and blew our scent towards our threat.

Shit.

A pair of very angry yellow eyes met mine. The furious yellow orbs belonged to a boy with curly blonde hair. He began to charge at me faster than I thought possible for even a vampire. I pushed Jane away from me, and away from the threat.

"Run!" I screamed at her in a panic. Her watery eyes met mine and she shook her head rapidly.

"Jane go! I'll find you! It'll be fine, just go!" I yelled. She shook her head again, her eyes were scared but determined. I ran at her and took her hand dragging her as far away from the furious blonde as I could. I knew we couldn't outrun him for long, but I didn't have much of an option.

Jane and I flashed through the forest as quickly as our legs could move. I was terrified of tripping, my normally coordinated feet were going to fast for me to run with the same grace I normally had. Being the unlucky person I was, my foot caught in a low bush and I slammed face first into the wet ground. I tried to pick myself up, but a strong blow to my back kept me down.

"Run!" I screamed to Jane. The blonde's knee dug into my back as he brought my arms behind my back causing me to whimper. I felt like my back might break. I looked up at my mate. A large male, who was nearly as muscular as Felix had been, was restraining her. She was struggling to break away from his grasp.

"Let her go!" I yelled. My face was forcefully pushed into the mud. I gasped at the pain of the blonde pushing my arms upward aggressively. A low growl rang in my eardrums.

"Please let her go! I d-don't care what you do to me, just don't hurt her!" I begged. The growling became louder and more threatening in response.

"She didn't kill anyone! Let her go!" I pleaded. I lifted my gaze up to the muscular vampire holding my mate. He looked down at me his eyes full of sorrow. He let go of my mate without warning. The blonde on top of me gasped in pain at Jane's gift. The strength he was using to pin me down lessened, and I threw him off of me.

I got to my feet quickly, and ran towards Jane. We darted into the forest. We had to get away. I couldn't believe we were still alive. We were definitely on borrowed time.

"Jane I need you to do something for me!" I said loudly. I kept the steady pace we were running at and my gaze ahead of me.

"I'm not leaving you Kian!" She yelled.

"Please Jane, they aren't after you, they're after me! If we are overtaken I need you to save yourself! Do not stop running! Do this for me Jane!" I pleaded.

"Kian please!" She begged.

"No Jane, don't risk your life for mine! Keep running!" I yelled. I glanced at her from the corner of my eye. Tears streamed down her face as she gave a hesitant nod.

"Don't do anything stupid!" She yelled. I sighed in relief.

"I'll try!" I promised and continued to run.

I don't know how long we ran for. I didn't want to stop, I didn't want to put Jane at that risk. As far as I knew our enemy was just behind us. We ran for hours. I didn't know where we were, I only knew we were on the same continent because we hadn't crossed an ocean.

"Kian, I think we're safe." Jane said as we dashed over the forest floor. I glanced over in her direction. She slowed down to a stop and I followed her.

"You're sure?" I questioned. She nodded her head.

"Sort of." She said. Well that was about as good of an answer we would get. We couldn't run forever, we had to stop eventually. At least we were somewhat sure we were safe.

I sighed and closed the distance between us. I wrapped her into my arms and brushed through her hair. I knew how badly she was hurting, I just wish that there was some way to help her. I needed a time machine or something.

"Do you want to talk?" I whispered. Jane shook her head, and buried her face in the front of my shirt. I allowed her to cry into me for as long as she needed. I rubbed her back and offered her words of comfort. She didn't stop for hours, and I was nearly positive that we hadn't been followed.

I eventually picked her up, so we could keep moving. To my surprise she didn't object to me carrying her. I walked for a long time through the thick vegetation. We found a cave eventually and I stopped there. It was a decent enough hiding place. I sat down with my mate and wrapped my arms around her bringing her as close as I could.

I couldn't even imagine what she was going through. Her entire world had just disappeared in the span of an afternoon. I had never dealt with anything like this, I wasn't sure what to do or say to make this better. I couldn't fix this, no matter how desperately I wanted too.

"I love you Jane. I'm so sorry. I can't even imagine what your going through." I whispered and rubbed comforting circles into her back.

"I l-love you too." She choked out between sobs.

"I j-just can't believe this." She whispered. I nodded and sighed.

"I know honey, I can't believe it either." I whispered.